polaris 9550 has stopped working

brutus4527

May 27, 2020
Iowa
Hello,

The Polaris 9550 sport that we inherited with our pool last year has worked great for us, but now is out of commission.

The control powers up and appears ready to go, but when i hit start, it powers off immediately, although a couple times the unit did start to clean for a couple seconds before the control shut down. I have to wait several minutes before the control will come back on. It displays no error codes at any time.

The power cord is plugged in without an extension cord, and the cord from the control to the unit, while older, doesn't have any signs of obvious damage.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance.

Have seen this same senerio this year with 9550 sport too. These units need the floating cable changed for one of two reasons. If you get a error code 10, that means one of the three wires in the cable, external to the robot are broken. If you have what the op has described, where it wont..... then you have a situation where from the constant twisting of the floating cable two wires have broken and crossed from insulation breakdown. In this senerio you won't get "error 10" but never the less a new cable is in order.

We have a 9550 polaris robot as well. Our pool was completed around Labor Day 2017 so we used the robot relatively few times that year, then all of 2018 and 2019 seasons (stored in garage from November-April) and then it was pretty much not working out of the gate this season. Error 10, would run for a few seconds then stop and sometimes would not run at all or not even power on. Fortunately, because the robot was supplied through our builder, we got a three year warranty on it (rather than the standard two years stated in the robot documentation) so we were inside of that. Polaris customer service (once I could get through to them) was wonderful and immediately authorized a warranty repair; I had to take it to a Leslie's pool store for diagnosis and repair. The robot was diagnosed as needing a new control board AND cord AND motor .... so basically every major part except the plastic shell - wow! Even if you do the work yourself (which is not difficult), that's $1000 in parts! So it's finally fixed and working fine now, and it does a good job cleaning our pool. But I don't think I'd go with one again just because that's terrible reliability to need $1000 worth of parts to repair after two-and-a-bit pool seasons!

Additional note - without getting into all the details of a long story involving not being able to get in touch with Polaris early on, we bought a brand new swivel cord and replaced ours to see if we could fix the issue ourselves. It didn't fix it. But unfortunately we brought the robot somewhere to be looked at with the new cord still on it, and they didn't get around to it for several weeks, so by the time we gave up on them and just picked the robot up again, the return period for the new cord was over, and the company was firm on not taking the cord back even for a partial refund. Bottom line is I have a brand new Polaris 9550 swivel cord (details below) that cost about $300 and has been in the water for a total of about 5-10 minutes that I would sell for $200 if anyone needs/wants it!

R0726700 Swivel Floating Cable Kit 69' cord
Item No: 619674

We have a 9550 polaris robot as well. Our pool was completed around Labor Day 2017 so we used the robot relatively few times that year, then all of 2018 and 2019 seasons (stored in garage from November-April) and then it was pretty much not working out of the gate this season. Error 10, would run for a few seconds then stop and sometimes would not run at all or not even power on. Fortunately, because the robot was supplied through our builder, we got a three year warranty on it (rather than the standard two years stated in the robot documentation) so we were inside of that. Polaris customer service (once I could get through to them) was wonderful and immediately authorized a warranty repair; I had to take it to a Leslie's pool store for diagnosis and repair. The robot was diagnosed as needing a new control board AND cord AND motor .... so basically every major part except the plastic shell - wow! Even if you do the work yourself (which is not difficult), that's $1000 in parts! So it's finally fixed and working fine now, and it does a good job cleaning our pool. But I don't think I'd go with one again just because that's terrible reliability to need $1000 worth of parts to repair after two-and-a-bit pool seasons!

Additional note - without getting into all the details of a long story involving not being able to get in touch with Polaris early on, we bought a brand new swivel cord and replaced ours to see if we could fix the issue ourselves. It didn't fix it. But unfortunately we brought the robot somewhere to be looked at with the new cord still on it, and they didn't get around to it for several weeks, so by the time we gave up on them and just picked the robot up again, the return period for the new cord was over, and the company was firm on not taking the cord back even for a partial refund. Bottom line is I have a brand new Polaris 9550 swivel cord (details below) that cost about $300 and has been in the water for a total of about 5-10 minutes that I would sell for $200 if anyone needs/wants it!

R0726700 Swivel Floating Cable Kit 69' cord
Item No: 619674
I will buy it if you have not yet sold it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.