Polaris 93/94/95/9650 Owners Club

I have joined the club with a used p955.

Any tips to keep the motor block from getting ruined. 400 a pop is high.

The used P955 appears to work completely. I was told before picking it up that it recently got a new motor block and cable under warranty and it was a bit over 2 years old. To my surprise when I picked it up, the owner informed me that when they replaced the cable, they put the swivel cable on so that was a nice bonus.

I still don't think the swivel is going to do much though just as I didn't think the dolphin swivel did anything. Just holding in my hand, the swivel does not turn easily, the smart pool design for swivel was far superior than everyhting else on the market. It was replaceable as a separate unit and it actually swiveled easily that it could really do it in the water. Plus it was a square shape that floated in the water forcing the swivel to work so it was almost impossible for the cable to twist up.

Could someone explain how the lift feature works on the remote? It works fine from the control box, the remote work fine for controlling it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the lift work on the remote. I'm following the instructions on the remote tag (previous owner never used it) It says tilt remote in direction of wall and then hold lift for 3 seconds. but then if I tilt remote any other direction the robot just goes that way.

New 9350 owner here. Wishing I had done more research when we were building our pool and I would not have bought this one. The main problem we are running into is that when the cleaner goes towards the deep end the wheels stop making contact with the surface and it just sits there with the wheels spinning. Also cannot stand how easily the cord twists up, even after laying out straight in the sun all day. Is there any advice out there on why it might be getting hung up?

Correct you are, the 9350 isn't AWD drive but rather front wheel drive. When it needs to turn the wheels turn in opposite directions from each other and needs to bare the weight of the rear of the robot while doing that whereas the AWD 9550 has the complete side turning in the opposite directions making it move very easy. What you're describing about the deep seems to be a motor issue because the traction is a combination of the pump motor sucking it down to the floor like a vacuum so when the wheels move they have good contact. Make sure nothing bypassed the filter and got stuck behind the grill of the pump output where the propeller is located. Anything in there will diminish the vacuum effect and cause less traction. The cord is something you'll need to live with and manage because I'm not a fan of the swivel which is not much better but yet another place for trouble during its life time.

Thanks for starting this group! I'll be buying a new robot in the next week or so, and I really like the Polaris 4WD robots' features: (1) EZ lift out of the pool, (2) Better (IMHO) filter canister, (3) Cooler looking robot, and (4) Swivel cord on the 4WD models (new for 2018).

If I knew for certain it wouldn't get hung up on my main drains like the Dolphin DX4 I'm replacing, I might well end up with one.

I've got it narrowed down to the Polaris 9650iQ, the Maytronics M400 and Maytronics M500.
My Polaris 9550 never, and I mean never, gets hung up on main drains.

New 9350 owner here. Wishing I had done more research when we were building our pool and I would not have bought this one. The main problem we are running into is that when the cleaner goes towards the deep end the wheels stop making contact with the surface and it just sits there with the wheels spinning. Also cannot stand how easily the cord twists up, even after laying out straight in the sun all day. Is there any advice out there on why it might be getting hung up?
The only time I’ve found my cord tangling is when the robot has been running for more than 3 hrs. I don’t leave mine in the pool so every time I pull it out , I coil cord counterclockwise and never a tangle.

My Polaris 9550 never, and I mean never, gets hung up on main drains.
I concur with you as I have a few out there and all are happy with them. I've done a few full rebuilds where I've changed out all the plastic gears ⚙️ and bushings and then it's like brand new again without any slop in the drive system.

Reactions: mickey4paws

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone have problems with robot climbing the wall? It’s working fine but doesn’t want to climb anymore
If you still have the p955 the not climbing issue is related to the suction strength via the water being pulled through the robot. The propeller in the rear of the unit can have debris trapped there that managed to get by the filter or even hair and the like wrapped around it diminishing its speed will diminish the water velocity. The filter being full or the mesh caked up with fine debris can also be a factor. Anyone of the aforementioned trouble areas or a combination of some will do just waht you're experiencing.

Hopefully this post will help save someone 2-400 on a new cord.

I had asked a year ago maybe about how I could fix my cord that appeared to have frayed right at the black plastic elbow where it goes into the robot. No one was any help and even insinuated that I was doing something dangerous. I tried some chlorine proof silicone and that worked for a bit, but then peeled off. So I started to think about couldn't I just move the cord in the elbow to a different spot as I was afraid the cord would tear without the extra insulation at that joint.

I watched a video today on how to change the cord in the robot and realized that the cord I'm seeing at my elbow is exactly the same cord as inside the robot, there is at least a foot that doesn't have the extra insulation so no harm, no danger etc. LOL. So I opened up the unit using the instructions on the video to move the cord a little further in the black elbow. Of course the black elbow wouldn't come off, it clips on but I was unable to get the clips off, I used a screwdriver and got it to pop apart breaking the clips that hold it together unfortunately. One end is held in the case though so doesn't really matter. I moved the cord an inch or two in so now I have good cord at the black elbow and put it back together. On the top of the black elbow that sticks out of the device, I just put a zip tie because the clips won't hold at the top.

Working good as new now. I estimate I can get at least 4 more times out of this specific cord failure which seems to be pretty common as the guy in the video was changing the cord for this exact reason.

Oh if you watch the video. the propeller pops off, there is absolutely no reason to go messing with any seals like the guy in the video taking the propeller nut off at least for what I was doing. It is a little harder to fit the cord back in once there is more of it in the body but it is doable. Biggest issue I had was closing it back up. There is a number of foam pieces in it and the two in the front section decided they wanted to keep falling out. Aside from that it took me probably 20 minutes or more to get the two plastic case halves to close after all of this.

I've done this repair some 20 times and even shortened the cord when the wire breaks internally right by the elbow. The more intricate repair is to remove the plug at the end of the wire and resolder it back to original spec which I've done many times but I don't recommend it as it needs to be as water proof as new. Backing the pins out of the molded plug and reusing the pins yake quite a bit of skill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.