Polaris 380 tune up or rebuild?

electro

Apr 28, 2020
New York
I don't know the age of my Polaris 380, but parts have never been replaced. It has not been working well for the past couple seasons and I want to plan ahead before pool opening in a few months.

The price on kits are very expensive and not sure if the kits are overkill or perhaps a subset of important parts might be better and less expensive.

Polaris tune up kit (9-100-9010)
or
Polaris rebuild kit (9-100-9030)
or can someone recommend a subset list of recommended parts?

What about just buying a new Polaris? Honestly, with an unknown age and worn parts, you might be better off just starting out new. It’s certainly the most expensive route but at least you’d start off with a known-good cleaner.

Most pool cleaners will only go a few season before needing serious repairs. Robots die after 3-5 years and are often irreparable. Pump-driven cleaners will also last 3 years or so before they need a significant rebuild.

If you want to keep what you have the I would say you’d be better off with a rebuild rather than a tune up. You don’t know the age of any of it and so a major overhaul of the internals will likely get you closer to “like new” than just a simple tune up.

The rebuild kit basically gives you a new cleaner just reusing the frame and housing.

Compare the cost of the rebuild kit and your time versus buying a new cleaner. You save a few dollars but not that much.

The most important thing that needs to be replaced regularly are the wheel axel bearings. The bearings build up corrosion and friction. The cleaner does not have much power from its water power and any friction in its moving parts slows it down.

The rebuild kit basically gives you a new cleaner just reusing the frame and housing.

Compare the cost of the rebuild kit and your time versus buying a new cleaner. You save a few dollars but not that much.

The most important thing that needs to be replaced regularly are the wheel axel bearings. The bearings build up corrosion and friction. The cleaner does not have much power from its water power and any friction in its moving parts slows it down.

Thanks for your response.
So, although it would be much easier to buy a new cleaner (approx $800 now) , the rebuild kit cost is currently $360. Significantly cheaper for the rebuild kit, but still very expensive. I can't justify the cost of a new 380. Do you think the inflated cost of these parts will ever come back down?

So, although it would be much easier to buy a new cleaner (approx $800 now) , the rebuild kit cost is currently $360. Significantly cheaper for the rebuild kit, but still very expensive. I can't justify the cost of a new 380. Do you think the inflated cost of these parts will ever come back down?

Short answer - Nope.

Pool equipment pricing, especially in the spare parts sector, is very inelastic. If the vendor had to pay a premium to get the parts, they are not leaving his shelf at a discount.

So, although it would be much easier to buy a new cleaner (approx $800 now) , the rebuild kit cost is currently $360. Significantly cheaper for the rebuild kit, but still very expensive. I can't justify the cost of a new 380.
If you have the talent and time them rebuild your cleaner as long as it’s bones are solid.

Do you think the inflated cost of these parts will ever come back down?
No.

Before I moved on to a robot, I rebuilt my Polaris twice over the years. As already mentioned, the only part you keep from the old cleaner is the frame. For some people, it's not worth the time. As an engineer who likes to tinker, I found it fun to rebuild. It's like having a 3D jigsaw puzzle. If the rebuild kit doesn't come with a new hose, you may want to get one. Over time, I think it can get stiff which interferes with the cleaners movement.

Before I moved on to a robot, I rebuilt my Polaris twice over the years. As already mentioned, the only part you keep from the old cleaner is the frame. For some people, it's not worth the time. As an engineer who likes to tinker, I found it fun to rebuild. It's like having a 3D jigsaw puzzle. If the rebuild kit doesn't come with a new hose, you may want to get one. Over time, I think it can get stiff which interferes with the cleaners movement.

I like to tinker also. Since Leslie’s offered 20% off for President day I decided to bite the bullet and get the rebuild kit.

Thanks for advice on the hose. You’re spot on with it being stiff. I did replace swivels but they always seem to leak. I’ll look into a new hose. You think there’s a big difference in quality between aftermarket and genuine Polaris hose?

Get the rebuild kit and do it yourself (the "tune up" kit is a waste of money). They used to be ~$200 before COVID but are over $300 now! It will give you a complete new cleaner - everything is included except the frame so you're getting a new cleaner for les than half the price. It's not difficult to strip down the old one and rebuild it with new parts.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get the rebuild kit and do it yourself (the "tune up" kit is a waste of money). They used to be ~$200 before COVID but are over $300 now! It will give you a complete new cleaner - everything is included except the frame so you're getting a new cleaner for les than half the price. It's not difficult to strip down the old one and rebuild it with new parts.

Just completed the rebuild and it was super easy. Only thing that doesn't look right is the front blue top cover is not very secure to the base. Slight separation if I push on it. I know, don't push on it lol. Anyway, I don't recall the front of original top cover being so 'loose'.

Reactions: jmastron
Congrats. But I'll echo the bit about the hose. If you still have problems with poor performance, that's it. For my pool flexibility makes a huge difference especially when the water is on the cold side.

Nb: Eventually the outer shell pieces of the robot get brittle. When it starts to look like a glob of JB Weld from gluing it back together repeatedly, it's time for a new one :cool:. Best estimate: that happened to mine at the 12 year point.

Last edited:
Congrats. But I'll echo the bit about the hose. If you still have problems with poor performance, that's it. For my pool it makes a huge difference especially when the water is on the cold side.

Nb: Eventually the outer shell pieces of the robot get brittle. When the robot starts to look like a glob of JB Weld from gluing it back together repeatedly, it's time for a new one :cool:. Best estimate: that happened to mine at the 12 year point.

Actually the outer shell pieces, both top and bottom are new as they were included with the rebuild kit. The top shell is only secured with two screws in the back by the sweeper jet so the front top shell is not secured down very well.

Wondering if the slight play in the front of the top shell is normal. I wish there were a screw to hold down top front shell but there isn’t.

Last edited:
Hi, (moving off topic) I'm curious why you switched to a robot. I am at a point right now where I will either have to replace my booster pump (Polaris 280) for ~$400 or get a robot. I've just started looking into robots. If I decide to go that way, I figure I can take $400 off the price because I'm going to spend that either way. I have heard, though, that robots can be short lived and not easily repaired. Any thoughts?

What was your decision making process?

Thanks

I stopped using the Polaris for several reason. One reason was electricity usage. When cleaning the pool, I would increase the speed of the VSP so that the booster pump was getting adequate water flow. That's two pumps running at a high speed. Second was the fine dirt that went through the bag. Anything finer than the holes in the mesh bag goes straight through the bag. It was especially noticable in the spring during pine pollen season. Third is that it would get stuck near the shallow end stairs and near the deep end ladder. No matter how much I played with the thrust jet, it just missed spots in the pool. Fourth, it didn't do any brushing at all. The robot brushes the bottom and sides of the pool.

I didn't remove the booster pump or get rid of the Polaris. When I sold the house last year, I gave the Polaris to the new owner. My pool at my new house doesn't have a booster pump or piping for a pressure-side cleaner so I had no need for the Polaris.

Your Polaris was worn out and needed a rebuild or replacement.

It wasn't worn out and had a fresh foam pad on the tail. From observation, that sweeping tail didn't seem to do much. Also I don't understand you including the part of my comment on climbing walls. The Polaris was never designed to climb walls.

It wasn't worn out and had a fresh foam pad on the tail. From observation, that sweeping tail didn't seem to do much. Also I don't understand you including the part of my comment on climbing walls. The Polaris was never designed to climb walls.
Sure Polaris climbs walls when operating properly.

One complaint over the years is the Polaris climbs walls too aggressively and the sweeping tail flips out of the water and sprays around the pool and house windows. This has caused Polaris to come out with a Pro tail attachment that tamed the tail.

Your Polaris not climbing the walls and tail not sweeping was not working properly.

Reactions: Saturn94

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.