Wilmywood, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I was having a problem with my Polaris 380. It is 20 years old and I was replacing the belts. I changed them out with no problem, but this one part on the drive shaft keeps sliding out of its pocket. The little blue piece in the middle of the pic is loose and slips out, along with the white piece it holds in place. Both are on the drive shaft. I can't find the part number on the schematic I have, I think I have an older model. I also don't see it on any of the rebuild kits on Amazon or Inyo or other pool sites. Any idea how to keep it in place? or the part number to order to replace it? Thanks.

Attachments

• polaris.jpg
    polaris.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 12
I love that you’re able to keep your 380 operating after 20 years! Mine is 16 years old and I’ve never even had to take it apart - yet. The only issues I’ve had are a leaky hose and a broken valve that plugs into the wall socket - nothing with the cleaner itself and less than $50 in repairs so far. We had a hail storm the other day that knocked lots of leaves into the pool. The Polaris had them cleaned up in less than an hour. I still don’t understand all the hoopla for robots (and hate for pressure side cleaners) when robots cost over $1k, last only 3-5 years, have much smaller debris baskets and have to be removed from the pool and stored out of the weather when not in use.

Reactions: HermanTX
This is my first time opening up the polaris itself. I did watch some good youtube videos before I started. That was very helpful. i have replaced the seal in the booster pump and also the booster pump hoses twice. It is not a complicated piece of equipment. I was really surprised how well all the stainless steel parts have held up. the screws came out so nicely. I also found that one of the internal hoses had popped off and I zip-tied it back on. that may have started my problems. I get the new bearings on Sunday and hope those go in smoothly.

Reactions: jark87
I love that you’re able to keep your 380 operating after 20 years! Mine is 16 years old and I’ve never even had to take it apart - yet. The only issues I’ve had are a leaky hose and a broken valve that plugs into the wall socket - nothing with the cleaner itself and less than $50 in repairs so far. We had a hail storm the other day that knocked lots of leaves into the pool. The Polaris had them cleaned up in less than an hour. I still don’t understand all the hoopla for robots (and hate for pressure side cleaners) when robots cost over $1k, last only 3-5 years, have much smaller debris baskets and have to be removed from the pool and stored out of the weather when not in use.
Couldn't agree more with you.
I did put a rebuild kit in my 280 about 2 yrs ago and it is nearly 14 years old.
I just had to replace the feedpipe (this is what the main hose connects to at top of cleaner). I had put the cleaner on the deck because of all the kids in the pool that day and I went to move it and somehow it slipped out of my hand and the balance float snapped off. I tried to expoy it but that only lasted a short time. I was able to find the part on Amazon. While doing the replacement I tightened all the screws as some had worked loose but everything else in great shape.

Now I have to admit - I do research and watch threads on no wire robots - several mfg. now have put out units. I would be tempted with that if they can hold up. But until then, I will continue to put parts into that 280 to keep it running.

Reactions: jark87
Now I have to admit - I do research and watch threads on no wire robots - several mfg. now have put out units. I would be tempted with that if they can hold up.
I do too, but the “if they can hold up” part is the big question. Plus, I don’t want to have to lug the thing to my garage to a charging station. A removable battery, like what I have for my lawnmower, would address that, but is probably challenging for a device that’s submerged.

I still don’t understand all the hoopla for robots (and hate for pressure side cleaners) when robots cost over $1k, last only 3-5 years, have much smaller debris baskets and have to be removed from the pool and stored out of the weather when not in use.
Well, have you seen the cost of the Polaris 3xxx series cleaners lately - $1000 for the cleaner and $400 for the pump! I guess $1000 for a robot makes it a consideration when buying new.

Having said that, if you already own a 380, I don't see any point is replacing it with a robot. A rebuild kit is $400 (they were $200, pre-covid) but that's a lot cheaper than a new robot.

Well, have you seen the cost of the Polaris 3xxx series cleaners lately - $1000 for the cleaner and $400 for the pump! I guess $1000 for a robot makes it a consideration when buying new.

Having said that, if you already own a 380, I don't see any point is replacing it with a robot. A rebuild kit is $400 (they were $200, pre-covid) but that's a lot cheaper than a new robot.
Yep, totally understand and I can appreciate the added benefit of scrubbing that robots bring. My cleaner is so old, I don’t have any idea what I paid for it, as it was included in the overall pool build. And that’s my primary point - the side pressure cleaners last 4-5x longer and there’s no lugging them around or storage requirements. But if your pool was built without plumbing for a side pressure cleaner, I guess a robot is the only option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.