Polaris 280 Spraying Out

Romoth

Silver Supporter
Sep 18, 2020
Houston, TX
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have my pool in a relatively narrow area that's close to the house. It continuously sprays out and is soaking the house and doors that lead into the primary bedroom. I didn't care all that much before, but we're in the process of completing a major renovation. I would REALLY like to keep the water off of my brand new doors on two sides of my house. Unfortunately, the grey foam attachments seem to last about 3 days and frankly it just doesn't clean that well.

I'm going to try this tail attachment (Amazon.com) in the interim, but is it worth switching to a robot? I'm willing to put a not insubstantial amount of money at this because I'd rather do that than deal with the problems the spray out is creating. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for any advice!
-Mark

Screw in the screw to reduce pressure.

Remove the orifice tip or cut it off by cutting the hose behind the tip.

Or, drill out the hole bigger to reduce the spray.

Install the blue or red restrictor disc into the wall fitting.
1690817155868.png

1690817284182.png

1690817479134.png
polaris-180-280-380-sweep-hose-orifice-tip-b25-4.jpg

Attachments

• 1690817414030.png
    1690817414030.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1690817445770.png
    1690817445770.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the comments. I apparently already have the pro end fitting? Amazon.com

I'll see if I can reduce the pressure. I'd like to avoid going through ten million sweep hose scrubbers if possible. I definitely need to put another one of those. They help, but only seem to last a VERY short period of time.

I'm pretty sure they all do that. Our inherited 280 was nicknamed "Splash" by the kids soon after we moved in for exactly that. You might be able to reduce it a bit with some of the adjustments, but I doubt you'll be able to eliminate it. The earnest 280 isn't trying to annoy you, it's just doing the best it can and occasionally that tail ends up out of the water and it can't control itself! Maybe if you turned the tail adjustment all the way down, but then it might just drag sadly behind it like ours did in the winter months when the hoses got stiff (still cleaned well).

The Dolphin robot I got doesn't splash out, nor do most of them AFAIK, and suction side cleaners wouldn't either. Robots have other pros and cons, but if you're separately not happy with the 280's cleaning, you might consider switching to one.

Hi, I had the same issue and the Polaris Tail Sweep Pro solved it for me. When the scrubber wears off, it will spray the house again, just need to put a new one on and it’s back to normal.

Ryan
IMG_8188.png

I'd like to avoid going through ten million sweep hose scrubbers if possible. I definitely need to put another one of those. They help, but only seem to last a VERY short period of time.

Tail scrubbers are sacrificial and are doing their job as they wear.

I have found the genuine Polaris scrubbers last much longer then third party foam scrubbers you can buy from Amazon in bulk less expensively. The third party scrubbers are made from softer foam and don't last as long. I went back to using genuine Polaris scrubbers.

You don't need the end fitting or the scrubber.

You don't NEED any of the parts. The scrubber does a good job of brushing pool surfaces.

Without the scrubber on the tail the tail weights will drag on the pool surface and the round weights will grind themselves down flat. You would rather sacrifice the foam scrubber then all the tail weights.

The Polaris pressure cleaners are finely engineered machines with a balance of parts for it to operate properly. When the parts are not installed as designed the machine begins having problems doing its cleaning function.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The scrubber does a good job of brushing pool surfaces.
It's not that important.

You should be brushing the pool periodically anyway.
You don't NEED any of the parts.
Ideally, you want to use it as designed, but the person is trying to solve a specific problem.

Some parts are critical, like the wheels, and some parts are not critical.

The less modification, the better.

You can drill out the orifice to a bigger hole, reduce the pressure and leave on the scrubber and it should stop spraying a long distance and the overall operation will still be mostly the same.

Even if you remove the orifice and scrubber, the main function of picking up debris will still be accomplished.
Without the scrubber on the tail the tail weights will drag on the pool surface and the round weights will grind themselves down flat.
It might protect the last weight, but the rest of the weights still drag.
The Polaris pressure cleaners are finely engineered machines with a balance of parts for it to operate properly.
That's what they want you to believe.

Reactions: Romoth
It's not that important.

You should be brushing the pool periodically anyway.

Well you can also be cleaning the pool anyway.

Let's be clear about the reason for the various parts.

The less modification, the better.

Agreed, So I would not encourage drilling orifices until other things have been tried.
It might protect the last weight, but the rest of the weights still drag.

Not according to my experience. Show me the tail weights on YOUR Polaris cleaner.

How can the scrubber protect the weights that are not close to the scrubber?

As you can see, all of the weights are touching the ground except for maybe the weight directly next to the scrubber.

As I noted, you can still use the scrubber if you drill out the orifice to a bigger hole and maybe turn down the pressure.

I agree that the minimum amount of modification is best.

In any case, I am sure that the problem can be solved to the satisfaction of the poster without diminishing the performance too much.

1690820522461.png

Last edited:
So I have my pool in a relatively narrow area that's close to the house. It continuously sprays out and is soaking the house and doors that lead into the primary bedroom. I didn't care all that much before, but we're in the process of completing a major renovation. I would REALLY like to keep the water off of my brand new doors on two sides of my house. Unfortunately, the grey foam attachments seem to last about 3 days and frankly it just doesn't clean that well.

I'm going to try this tail attachment (Amazon.com) in the interim, but is it worth switching to a robot? I'm willing to put a not insubstantial amount of money at this because I'd rather do that than deal with the problems the spray out is creating. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for any advice!
-Mark
Buy this once and you will never regret it. Get the whole sweep-tail assembly, the Swasher end is difficult to install. And, there are more parts than just the end that make it work that aren't included with just the tip. Costs a bit less than an OEM Polaris sweep tail. My pool is 4' from the windows. Tried everything and nothing ever worked well. Had this for 3 years and dry windows as well.

To work properly you need that sweep-tail moving.

Reactions: Romoth
Buy this once and you will never regret it. Get the whole sweep-tail assembly, the Swasher end is difficult to install. And, there are more parts than just the end that make it work that aren't included with just the tip. Costs a bit less than an OEM Polaris sweep tail. My pool is 4' from the windows. Tried everything and nothing ever worked well. Had this for 3 years and dry windows as well.

To work properly you need that sweep-tail moving.
You've convinced me. I just put in for a return on the end piece (haven't even received it yet) and bought the whole tail assembly. This would be WAY cheaper than a robot. Thanks!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.