Polaris 280 plastic - super brittle

Lunguyen03

Apr 18, 2021
Houston
We just bought a house and it came with a polaris 280 with the pool. Over the past month or so, the hose and plastic parts on the hose have been falling apart. When I would try to disconnect the hoses and stuff, the plastic would just crumble. Anyone ever experience this? I keep the chlorine around 6 ppm, pH is high at 8.0 but I've been in a back and forth bounce trying to lower TA.

Welcome to TFP :)

UV will kill plastic and it gets really brittle like you are seeing.. how old is the hose and 280?

Thanks! Not sure how old the polaris is really. Inherited it with the house, I just didn't know if it was something in my water balancing that might be causing it. It felt like it got worse in the month that I had it so thought it might be me.

My Polaris 280 stays in the pool 24/7. Have had it for 10+ years. The bottom part had a hole due to wear but the plastic has done well. Maybe your cleaner has been sitting on the deck (out of the pool) in direct sunlight. You can buy replacement parts or a refurbishment kit (mainly tires, bearings and turbine) if you wish to maintain it. Also, pool stores sometimes have sales i.e. Polaris Cleaner weekend event or something similar if you wish to replace it. Alternatively is a robot cleaner.

If it is just the hose, that may be more susceptible to UV rays - especially the part with the floats on it. The tail hose has wear rings (there are either blue or white) they are supposed to wear over time and be replaced. They keep the tail hose off of the pool bottom. If not, then that tail hose will rub on the pool and create a hole in the tail hose.

Maybe post a picture of the parts that are crumbling.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.