polaris 280 hose swivel leaks at junction with hose.

davidwat

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Mar 10, 2018
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
i have an old Polaris 280 which leaks at the swivel where it connect to the hose. Tightening the nut did not help nor did cutting off an inch or so of hose to provide a "fresh" bit of hose at this connection. 1)
Could it be that the hose is so stiff with age that the teeth of the nut threads are not cutting into the outer surface of the hose deeply enough to support adequately squeezing the hose against the swivel barb?
2) Is it merely problem of my not applying enough torque?
3) Should I splice in some new hose?

Thanks,
David - Dallas

Attachments

• polaris swivel leak.jpeg
    polaris swivel leak.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 19
i have an old Polaris 280 which leaks at the swivel where it connect to the hose. Tightening the nut did not help nor did cutting off an inch or so of hose to provide a "fresh" bit of hose at this connection. 1)
Could it be that the hose is so stiff with age that the teeth of the nut threads are not cutting into the outer surface of the hose deeply enough to support adequately squeezing the hose against the swivel barb?
2) Is it merely problem of my not applying enough torque?
3) Should I splice in some new hose?

Thanks,
David - Dallas
You need a new swivel, it is not the hose that is leaking. You can see that the water is coming from the swivel body. CMP makes a great one as an alternative to OEM. Not sure they make it in black, but you already have some white hose.

Just one site I have dealt with.

You need a new swivel, it is not the hose that is leaking. You can see that the water is coming from the swivel body. CMP makes a great one as an alternative to OEM. Not sure they make it in black, but you already have some white hose.

Just one site I have dealt with.
Thx for the reply, but close inspection shows the water coming out where the swivel barb is squeezed by the hose. Relooking at the unit shows the tail is not moving much although wheels turn and unit crawls across the p[ool bottom. I think the leak is due to increased back pressure. I suspect there is an obstruction of flow somewhere in the unit but am open to suggestion.

Looks to me like its coming from the connection. There may be a crack in the swivel where it goes into the hose. Did you look carefully at the swivel?
Yes. Thx for the reply. Close inspection shows the water coming out where the swivel barb is squeezed by the hose. Relooking at the unit shows the tail is not moving much although wheels turn and unit crawls across the p[ool bottom. I think the leak is due to increased back pressure. I suspect there is an obstruction of flow somewhere in the unit but am open to suggestion.

I wrapped a band type hose clamp around the barb/nut complex, but it still leaks, and it started leaking at another swivel in a similar area. I will start to research opening up the unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.