Polaris 280 Getting stuck at the pressure relief valve area

I have seen this a couple of times but the cleaner frees itself after the backup valve cycles. I saw where a float got wedged in that space between the pressure relief valve and the wall. Nothing comes to mind as to how to avoid as it seems pretty random. Interested to see what others say.

I find that the hose for my Polaris (280) tends to coil near it's QuickConnect. Dropping it into the pool right at the connector on that wall tends to start the hose in a coil and that the resistance of the coil can cause the Polaris to get stuck if the Polaris approaches that area of the wall at just the right (wrong?) angle. Positioning the cleaner at either end of the pool for the start of its cleaning run tends to minimize the chance of that happening.

The only other time it got stuck was when I let the water level get too high (after a rainy night) and the wheels got stuck in the skimmer where they had no traction.

I have rehabbed my Polaris 280 with all new hoses. They are cut to legnth properly, wheels are spinning at 30 rpm, back up valve works, hose floats are good, etc.

The Polaris loves to get stuck at the pressure relief valve area.

Any thoughts?
When its going forward, is the tail sweeping back and forth really fast? If soTry lowering the pressure at the Jandy Valve. Also the hose at the wall try rotating 180 degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
I have rehabbed my Polaris 280 with all new hoses. They are cut to legnth properly, wheels are spinning at 30 rpm, back up valve works, hose floats are good, etc.

The Polaris loves to get stuck at the pressure relief valve area.

Any thoughts?
My 280 will do the same thing, if it approaches the pressure relief area in backup mode, it can push the backup valve over the inlet pipe and essentially lock it in that position. The backup valve is positioned 30" from the sweep, however I'm thinking if it were a little closer to the sweep (and the adjacent pipe were a little longer) it wouldn't push the back up valve over the inlet pipe. My pool is max about 5&1/2' deep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.