Polaris 280 creeping when not actively boosted and cleaning. also liner pattern rub off

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
Hello all,
We are on our third pool. Third 280. Works great for keeping pool clean. First one was the best. Zero problems. Chlorine pool with rainbow feeder.
We moved and again used a 280. this time salt pool. Polaris wheels rubbed pattern off liner within a year, esp at the break. also, it constantly needed parts. i thought it might be the salt....
so, when we downsized a few years ago, built a smaller IG pool 16x32 . we went back to CL and another 280.
I Use TFT tests kits always and i'm an old pool rat left over from Pooldoc days and this forum too.
we are on year 5....... liner is shot. i noticed the cleaner creeps when the booster pump is not on. pump is a 1.5/.25 2 speed pump. on high it pushes about 18 pressure wise. on low around 1. I think the creeping contributed to the liner damage. It was a GLI black onyx and the polaris has pretty much rubbed the ink off in multiple places. To GLI's credit, they are warranting the liner (at 50%) . Apparently it was not holding up well on most pools as they have dc'ed the liner and are mostly automatically approving any claims with this liner.
Also the Polaris has not needed a single part except wheel bearings. (due to no salt ......?)
I just put a tank trax on and may consider adding an auto valve at the pad to open when the polaris starts and close when it stops to eliminate the creep. We have changed the impeller size to lower the pressure, but the creep persists.
also looking into a timer that is daily programable and changing cleaning time to every other day to lower the liner/cleaner time. really like leaving the cleaner in the pool, so a robot drop in is not my first choice.
appreciate all suggestions and input. any other pressure side cleaners suggestions that are easy on the liner appreciated.
Thx
Cal

Have you tried adding the blue or red flow reducer discs to the wall fitting?
It has the red in. I drilled the hole up one bit size because it was humming. Creeps with both.
Anybody use a “new “ Polaris 3900 with the “improved “ chain drive … all wheel drive?
Liner below:

Attachments

• AF1CE8D3-77B2-40B2-81E1-B28D4FF06213.jpeg
    AF1CE8D3-77B2-40B2-81E1-B28D4FF06213.jpeg
    491.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 0333A41F-A3F3-4BD6-9BC1-4AA615853C00.jpeg
    0333A41F-A3F3-4BD6-9BC1-4AA615853C00.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 6
Mine (a 380) creeps too. I don't think there's any way to prevent it short of adding a valve. The turbine wheel is deliberately very low friction. With normal pump pressure it's going to turn slowly.

I have a hard time believing salt has much effect. As has been pointed out many times here, LQ pools end up with as much salt as SWG pools.

Reactions: induce
Hello all,
We are on our third pool. Third 280. Works great for keeping pool clean. First one was the best. Zero problems. Chlorine pool with rainbow feeder.
We moved and again used a 280. this time salt pool. Polaris wheels rubbed pattern off liner within a year, esp at the break. also, it constantly needed parts. i thought it might be the salt....
so, when we downsized a few years ago, built a smaller IG pool 16x32 . we went back to CL and another 280.
I Use TFT tests kits always and i'm an old pool rat left over from Pooldoc days and this forum too.
we are on year 5....... liner is shot. i noticed the cleaner creeps when the booster pump is not on. pump is a 1.5/.25 2 speed pump. on high it pushes about 18 pressure wise. on low around 1. I think the creeping contributed to the liner damage. It was a GLI black onyx and the polaris has pretty much rubbed the ink off in multiple places. To GLI's credit, they are warranting the liner (at 50%) . Apparently it was not holding up well on most pools as they have dc'ed the liner and are mostly automatically approving any claims with this liner.
Also the Polaris has not needed a single part except wheel bearings. (due to no salt ......?)
I just put a tank trax on and may consider adding an auto valve at the pad to open when the polaris starts and close when it stops to eliminate the creep. We have changed the impeller size to lower the pressure, but the creep persists.
also looking into a timer that is daily programable and changing cleaning time to every other day to lower the liner/cleaner time. really like leaving the cleaner in the pool, so a robot drop in is not my first choice.
appreciate all suggestions and input. any other pressure side cleaners suggestions that are easy on the liner appreciated.
Thx
Cal
As long as enough water can get through to the cleaner, the Polaris, regardless of model, will move. Automating a valve to stop the flow to the cleaner line is an easy way to stop it if there is a valve socket available in your eCommand that you can designate cleaner and program to open about 5 minutes before the booster turns on to prevent dead-heading the booster pump (could blow a hose off).

Reactions: induce
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.