Poked a hole in the bead section of liner

Jul 5, 2017
Canada
Hi guys,

Got a little overzealous when trying to pop my liner back into the track. I was rushing and poked a small hole in the bead section of the liner.

I’ve attached a picture. Is this hole going to get bigger and spread? What is my recourse? Will a bead lock across this section help?

thanks!

Attachments

• 46339BE1-54E8-43EC-962D-4EB71FE6722A.jpeg
    46339BE1-54E8-43EC-962D-4EB71FE6722A.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 43
If the liner is not brittle and otherwise in good shape you can patch it, however if the liner is old, and brittle a patch will not hold. You will need to be careful with the liner in that area to prevent further damage.

If the liner is not brittle and otherwise in good shape you can patch it, however if the liner is old, and brittle a patch will not hold. You will need to be careful with the liner in that area to prevent further damage.
How do you patch the bead portion of the liner? Would putting a bead lock help prevent the hole from getting further pressure?

I wonder if plast-aid would work.. It is for all kinds of plastic and works great on pipe to MAKE new plastic... The internet says the liner is PVC and the hook is vinyl...
Amazon.com : 2-Pack Plast-Aid Acrylic, PVC, ABS, CPVC, Plastic Repair Kit - 2 x 6 oz. Kits (12 oz. total) : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Garden & Outdoor

It may but I am not sure about the vinyl part... You will need to do the following test...
What if I don't know what type of plastic I have? Perform the Plast-aid sticky test. Use a drop of Plast-aid Liquid, apply a small amount to a discrete area of your fix. If it becomes slightly tacky, you have a compatible plastic for a chemical bond.

Vinyl pool liners are made with colored polyvinyl chloride (PVC), rolled into thin sheets or films as they are called in the trade, and printed with dyes to produce patterns. The rolls of PVC material are cut into sections for the wall and floor, and heat welded together with a lap seam. A thick vinyl bead is then welded onto the top edge for beaded or j-hook style liners.

I dont know... you may be ok for now. I think all your troubles will start once you winterize the pool for your cold climate. The pool will be drained below the returns and that is going to put stress on that already weak area.

If I were you, in this position, I'd order a new liner now so if it does rip after winterizing (or before) you have it on standby. You can safely store the liner in its original box in a basement. Just make sure you put it up so a mouse doesn't chew into it. Hopefully I'm wrong. But I'm giving you a worst case scenario.

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.