Plumbing Return Locations on Kidney Shaped Renovation

JPRS51

Bronze Supporter
Jan 10, 2019
Pomona, CA
Our pool is a 60+ year old kidney shaped pool, 30k gallons, with major plaster issues and a plumbing leak between the skimmer and pump. The pool has one return line which is 1.5" copper (original) and a 1.5" PVC line from the skimmer to the pump, and is a pain to keep clean. Going to contract out a new pebble finish but plan to do the plumbing myself and also replace the light.

The pink area on the picture below is the cement decking I will be removing to do the re-plumb. The rest of the deck will be removed but not for several years when we redo the entire backyard.

Looking for some guidance:
  1. How many returns do I need?
  2. Where would you place the returns? Positioning and depth?
  3. Would one high-volume skimmer do the trick or do I need a second?
  4. If a second skimmer, where should I put it? (Or add it when the entire deck is replaced in the future?)
  5. What size pipes?
  6. Anything I am missing?

We425xd.jpg

dOxAYtF.jpg

zx0QmQy.jpg

So I wrote a long response but unfortunately it got lost in the confusion of switching to our new upgraded website...

In summary..

I would install 4 or 5 returns and 2 skimmers.. Returns are normally spread around the pool in such a way as to cause the pool water to swirl around and flow past the skimmers.. Think of a flushing Toilet Bowl, but at a much, much slower speed.

A lot of pools only have one skimmer and work fine. Most new pools have two skimmer which are placed where the wind normally pushes the debris.

Plumbing leaks between the Skimmer and the equipment pad can happen, but not often.. Most water leaks are right at the skimmer, because of cracks or separation between the gunite and the skimmer itself.

Removing the "pink" decking will not allow you to install the new returns and doing it after you re-plaster, does not make a lot of sense to me..

If this were my pool, I would fill it back up and use it as is for another year or two.. Then I would do two things.. save like crazy and remove all the decking, on both side of the pool, at least down to the steps.. I would then trench down and install all the lines going to your new returns, but not drill through the gunite yet. Expose the old skimmer and you might get lucky with the leak.. This is something that you could do a little at a time. Would not cost much except a lot of manual labor..

Then, when the time is right, you could empty the pool, install the new return lines through the gunite, replace the original skimmer and add a new one if wanted, get the pool re-tiled and re-plastered, then install all new decking.

But, that is me... Obviously, it is your pool, so whatever works for you, works just fine with me...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim! Unfortunately we have a leak in the plumbing between the skimmer and pump, under all that concrete. Developed half way through this last summer and we could not keep the pool from looking pea green at healthy chemical levels.

The plaster should have been redone about 20 years ago. The previous owner painted it and we are now at the point where we have plaster releasing and peeling off.

I was thinking about cutting in a second skimmer on the wind side and capping it underground to add in the next few years when we complete the remainder of the hardscape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.