Plumbing issue - pump replacement

Pegasus_RPG

Jun 10, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Hey everyone.

I want to replace my pump, but the new one says it needs a longer straight section of pipe immediately before the inlet than I currently have. The problem is that there doesn't appear to be enough space to attach an(other) coupling. Here's what I have now:

What do you all suggest? Do I have to basically replace everything from the ground up? (I'm trying to avoid replacing the valves because those things are not cheap!)

Also FWIW, I strongly believe I have a suction leak in the spa suction line, evidenced by an air pocket getting pulled in every time I open the line after a couple hours or more with it closed, and constant presence of air bubbles when it is open. (Though since recently partially draining and refilling the pool to lower CYA, I have bubbles all the time regardless of which lines are open. I think that's due to the pump trying to pull more than the pipes can support though because I hear that air-straining sound at each of the valves unless both are centered.)

Last edited:
What pump are you installing?

Nearly all pumps say they need XX amount of straight pipe into the suction. And no one has it. Mine doesn't. Works fine.

Most of us here with Intelliflo VS pumps do not have near that much straight pipe before the pump.

That is opitmal if you need full speed flow for some reason. I do not see a spa in your signature, so you will rarely run your VS pump above 1500 rpm (except when you run the suction cleaner, that might take more flow).

OK -- you may then need to run the VS pump at 3000 rpm or so to use the spa. That is what I run my spa at. Still no issues in getting good suction.

Up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.