Jesusfreak

Jun 5, 2019
Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon! I just moved into a new home for us, and the pool piping is not identified. I figured out most of it, but am confused on some suction piping to the VSP. The pump was set on full vacuum. I’m trying to skim and vacuum at the same time. Do I turn the valve closest to the pump in the middle of both suction lines. I believe the pipe on the left is the skimmer. Is the valve furthest from the pump suction taking suction from the main drain and the skimmer? I’m feeling suction at the skimmer but nothing is being directed into the basket. Stuff just floats by.

Also, the discharge goes back to the jacuzzi and to two jets on the east side. There are at least three jets on the west side of the pool that have nothing coming out, and when I stick my finger in the jets, I feel chunks of solids, like white, chalky rocks.

Lastly, how is this part in the skimmer supposed to be configured? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9237.jpeg
    IMG_9237.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9233.jpeg
    IMG_9233.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9232.jpeg
    IMG_9232.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9237.jpeg
    IMG_9237.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9233.jpeg
    IMG_9233.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9239.jpeg
    IMG_9239.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9240.jpeg
    IMG_9240.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9238.jpeg
    IMG_9238.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 8
With that type of set up on the suction side, the 2 pipes joined by the 3-way valve is usually 2 skimmers or 1 skimmer and 1 main drain. What does your pool have? It is set in the middle so there is equal suction from both pipes. The handle can move from 0-100% for each pipe. One pipe will always be open.
Then these 2 pipes lead to another 3-way valve which allows you to select suction from either the skimmer/main drain or the vacuum. Suction vacuums run best with 100% open to it and the opposite pipe closed. The picture shows the vacuum side is CLOSED and only suction from the skimmer/main drain.

do you have 2 holes in the bottom of your skimmer? Do you have a main drain?

I have two holes in the bottom.
There is suction from the pump in one of the holes. I don’t know how the sliding piece on the float is supposed to work. There appears to be a missing o- ring that the float sits on.
IMG_9241.jpegIMG_9242.jpegIMG_9243.jpegIMG_9243.jpeg

Your pad shows 2 pipes for suction (not including the vacuum port). So those pipes must be 1 main drain and 1 skimmer or 2 skimmers. You show to have a main drain (the 2 drains are linked under the pool as 1 line) to the suction side of pump or to the skimmer.
Here is a link to skimmers. It shows how the skimmer works with a float. Does the skimmer you have possibly have an equalizing port to the pool (below the skimmer). See Skimmers - Further Reading

Let us know your thoughts after you read the article and provide more information. Thanks

The skimmer is missing a weir.
That affects the effectiveness of the skimmer. There are normally 2 screws in front throat (under water) that can be removed and a new weir installed. Take that attachment plate to the pool store to match it up with a new replacement.

Did you check if there is an equalizer hole about 2ft below the skimmer in the pool? Just thinking about how that skimmer is set up and the need for that float.

One test to do to figure out those 2 pipes that are attached to the 3-way valve that is open to both sides.
Rotate it one way 90 degrees to close off one pipe. Feel the suction in the skimmer.
Then rotate 180 degrees to close off the opposite pipe and open the one that was closed. Feel suction in the skimmer.
The pump can be running while you turn the valve. The pump basket should stay full during the rotation.
The 3-way that is nearest the vacuum line should be CLOSED to the vacuum pipe. This ensure you have maximum suction from either the main drain or the skimmer.
Also - confirm that you only have 1 skimmer. Thanks.

Weir installed. I had to remove the float underneath the skimmer basket to get it to work.

No equalizer hole below skimmer

One skimmer

When the VSP comes on to vacuum and skim(set to run from 9am -2pm), It discharges into the inground spa and runs over, back into the pool, and discharges into two jets on the east side of the pool. There is no discharged water coming out of the jets (4) on the west side of the pool. Water with debris is getting stuck on the west side due to no jet circulation. I’ve been unable to determine why there is no water coming out of the west side jets.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Weir installed. I had to remove the float underneath the skimmer basket to get it to work.

No equalizer hole below skimmer

One skimmer

When the VSP comes on to vacuum and skim(set to run from 9am -2pm), It discharges into the inground spa and runs over, back into the pool, and discharges into two jets on the east side of the pool. There is no discharged water coming out of the jets (4) on the west side of the pool. Water with debris is getting stuck on the west side due to no jet circulation. I’ve been unable to determine why there is no water coming out of the west side jets.
Thanks for update.
The suction side is 1 skimmer, 1 main drain and 1 suction-side vacuum line.
Since there are 2 pipes - 1 for skimmer and 1 for main drain, the float valve properly has no use. Not sure why it was there. If it is working without it then that is great.

There is not picture of the return side of the plumbing. Can you post that?
A common set up for return jets is to have them on a loop so need to see how the return side is plumbed.

IMG_9303.jpegIMG_9300.jpegThe discharge is lined up to the spa and over flows to the pool on to the right with the check valve. The middle pipe goes to the jets. I labeled it “East” because that’s the only place the water is being discharged to at the moment. The smaller pipe on the left was closed when we purchased the house two weeks ago. I’ve opened it, but didn’t see where it was discharging to.

Thanks for pictures and the explanation.
The main pipe to the return jets in the pool is a single line so my bet is that there is a clog somewhere which is not allowing the other (westside ?) return jets to flow. They must be in a loop. Also - are you sure the return jets that are not flowing are not capped off in the pool? You can remove the eyeball from them to ensure there is no plugs. Just to confirm, these west jets have worked in the past but are not flowing now.

That 3-way valve controls flow to both spa and pool returns. Turn it 90 degrees CW to shut off the flow to the spa. This puts all flow to the pool returns. Put pump on high speed as you indicated it is VS Pump. Let is run for a while. You can put your hands over one of the 2 return jets that are flowing to try to create back pressure and force water down the return jets that are not flowing. You can do it in a cycle to create a surge to free up any debrs in it.

The small diameter line to the left is a spillover line to your spa. So in Pool Mode (no flow to spa) you can open that small line to allow some flow to the spa for spillover effect. You can try that after you put all flow to the pool returns to try to unplug any debris.
let us know the results. Thanks

Reactions: Jesusfreak
IMG_9307.jpegIMG_9307.jpegIMG_9306.jpegI’m assuming this is calcium deposits? It’s what is in the non functioning jets.

Thanks for hanging in with me and explaining things!

Attachments

• IMG_9308.jpeg
    IMG_9308.jpeg
    622.4 KB · Views: 1
@JoyfulNoise or @mgtfp can you look at photos in post #14 above and provide your thoughts? This came out of a return.
We are trying to figure out why 2 return jets are flowing the other 3 are not.

Last edited: