Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of installing my SWG for a pool DIY remodel. I’m planning to have a booster pump for a backup pressure side cleaner. In this suggested configuration, is the goal to prevent too much water flow into the SWG?

353A42C3-8419-4A79-A009-1447441247C1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to fill in your signature to get a better answer. If you have a variable speed pump, for example, you don't need that bypass setup, because you can dial in the perfect flow through the SWG using the pump's settings, rather than a bypass valve. Your overall plumbing design comes into play, too. Will you have more than 80GPM of flow? If not, then you also don't need that bypass.

Check it out:

Something like my signature really helps us understand your setup and allows us to help you in the best way.

You need to fill in your signature to get a better answer. If you have a variable speed pump, for example, you don't need that bypass setup, because you can dial in the perfect flow through the SWG using the pump's settings, rather than a bypass valve. Your overall plumbing design comes into play, too. Will you have more than 80GPM of flow? If not, then you also don't need that bypass.

Check it out:

Something like my signature really helps us understand your setup and allows us to help you in the best way.
Thank you. I just created my signature.

Reactions: Dirk
Thank you. I just created my signature.
Looks good. Thank you. Now, do you have a need to run that pump at more than 80GPM? A lot of water features perhaps? A slide and a spa at the same time? Big waterfall? Otherwise, you won't need to plumb the SWG with a bypass. Just be sure to allow a good length of uninterrupted straight pipe leading into the SWG, as per the instruction manual page you posted above.

Also, the IC40 is a bit small for your pool. We recommend going with twice the volume, so your 25K pool X 2 is 50K, so the IC60 would be a better choice. You'll probably be able to make the IC40 work, but you'll be running it most of the day and night. With the IC60, you'll be able to reduce the pump's runtime.

I’m planning to have a booster pump for a backup pressure side cleaner.
You don't need or want that.

3HP Pentair VSF 011056, Clean & Clear 520 sq ft cartridge, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
That's excellent equipment. What kind of pool cleaner do you have now? A robot would be perfect.

You don't need or want that.

That's excellent equipment. What kind of pool cleaner do you have now? A robot would be perfect.
I'm still in the plumbing stage. Got all my suction and return lines set up and just plumbing the equipment. I plan to buy a robot cleaner. Any recommendation?IMG_6652.JPG

Looks good. Thank you. Now, do you have a need to run that pump at more than 80GPM? A lot of water features perhaps? A slide and a spa at the same time? Big waterfall? Otherwise, you won't need to plumb the SWG with a bypass. Just be sure to allow a good length of uninterrupted straight pipe leading into the SWG, as per the instruction manual page you posted above.

Also, the IC40 is a bit small for your pool. We recommend going with twice the volume, so your 25K pool X 2 is 50K, so the IC60 would be a better choice. You'll probably be able to make the IC40 work, but you'll be running it most of the day and night. With the IC60, you'll be able to reduce the pump's runtime.
Thanks Dirk. No, I don't have any features you mentioned. I just have the pool. Yes, I agree that my IC40 might be on the small side. I got it as a package with my Easytouch so I'll just wait until it needs to be replaced to upgrade to IC60. I plan to install it vertically.IMG_6652.JPG

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why do you have a check valve between the pump and filter?

I would not have plumbed the drain diverter into the filter so the water always has to make a 90 degree turn. The usual water path should be straight in and then the 90 degree for the drain.

You are using sweep 90s for performance then undoing it with a 90 degree turn like that.

img_6652-jpg.472407

Why do you have a check valve between the pump and filter?

I would not have plumbed the drain diverter into the filter so the water always has to make a 90 degree turn. The usual water path should be straight in and then the 90 degree for the drain.

You are using sweep 90s for performance then undoing it with a 90 degree turn like that.

img_6652-jpg.472407
I see your point. Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep it to just one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.