Plumbing - Can I separate my filter without cutting? pics

johne417

Jan 12, 2018
Saint Louis
Newish pool owner on a house purchased in 2017, still getting the hang of things. The pool was installed in 2001. I believe the sand filter is the original from 2001, and I'm guessing it's still on the original sand with never a deep cleaning. Seems to filter OK but took several days to clear up the pool when I opened this year. I would like to do a deep cleaning of my sand filter, per the sticky here. I have no plumbing knowledge/experience. Can I remove the filter without having to cut pipes? Attached are pics. I have no unions close to the filter, but my return line has a union a little lower, close to a jandy valve. The pipe from the pump to the filter has something just above the pump that I don't know what it is, doesn't really look like a union but I'm hoping it is, or something else that could easily unscrew? Would I be able to get the filter out, for a deep cleaning, without having to cut pipes? Appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 18
You're going to have to cut the vertical pipe coming out of the filter and stick a union in there. Or do it after the bend, closer to the multiport. Too bad that whoever installed that coupler didn't put a union in. Who knows -- maybe they did and it cracked or leaked and that's how they fixed it?

img_0928-jpeg.100246

As said above, you can disconnect the union on the outlet side of the filter, but you'll need to cut the piping on the inlet side somewhere to remove it.
If you're not handy with PVC you can just cut the pipe and then get a slip repair coupling and it'll slide over the pipe and the ends screw to tighten rubber seals to the piping so no gluing involved.
820633976080.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.