Plumbing advice - replace ball valve

bigtexas

Apr 14, 2021
Austin, TX
Texas pool owner here. I have been reaching out to all contractors nearby but all have 4-6 weeks waiting period. Not a handyman man but finally made up my mind to fix the plumbing on my own.

The ball valve on the right burst during the storm and needs to be replaced. Now I have all the parts but not sure how to proceed. The ball valve is very close to a 90 elbow which is connected to a Jandy actuator. If I cut the ball valve from its top, how should I connect the new ball valve to the elbow? Should I remove the PVC inside the existing elbow?

Since the elbow is glued with the actuator, I definitely want to keep the existing elbow and reduce the workload. Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• ball_valve.JPG
    ball_valve.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
Outside of trying to remove the pipe from the inside of the 90, you have a couple options. The valve is designed to accept two fitting sizes. If the inside slip is 2", a 2.5" elbow will fit on the outside (or 1.5" inside will accept a 2" on the outside). You can add a reducer to bring the pipe back down to 2" at downward side. But the larger elbow will push the downward side out a bit so it probably won't line up with the existing plumbing.

Another option is an "inside slip coupler" designed to fit inside 2" PVC pipe. You could cut the pipe below the elbow (at your cut mark) and slip the coupler inside.

One problem you may run into is you may not have enough flex to install the fitting(s) on the broken side. Take a pic away showing more of the plumbing. It's late now, but you'll get more input in a few hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtexas
Outside of trying to remove the pipe from the inside of the 90, you have a couple options. The valve is designed to accept two fitting sizes. If the inside slip is 2", a 2.5" elbow will fit on the outside (or 1.5" inside will accept a 2" on the outside). You can add a reducer to bring the pipe back down to 2" at downward side. But the larger elbow will push the downward side out a bit so it probably won't line up with the existing plumbing.

Another option is an "inside slip coupler" designed to fit inside 2" PVC pipe. You could cut the pipe below the elbow (at your cut mark) and slip the coupler inside.

One problem you may run into is you may not have enough flex to install the fitting(s) on the broken side. Take a pic away showing more of the plumbing. It's late now, but you'll get more input in a few hours.
I like your second option with inside slip coupler. I saw some people use heat gun to remove pvc out of the fittings. Not sure whether I should go that route too. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Oh man, that sounds nasty, did you already fix it?! I would also go for the second option mentioned by Rancho Cost-a-Lotta. I think that an inside slip coupler that would fit the inside 2" PVC pipe would be the best solution in this kind of situations. I have never dealt with such an issue, so I might actually be mistaken. However I do not recommend you to do that by yourself, you better call for the services of Débouchage Ans as they are the best plumbers that I know, trust me, they would fix it really quick.

Last edited:
If it were me I would replace the ball valves with Jandy valves that will work for years and years... Yes they are more expensive but after 3 years those ball valves may or may no work if they last that long..

Jandy valve is what your actuator is connected to Intermatic/SuperPro SPE24VA Valve Actuator 24v

If it were me I would replace the ball valves with Jandy valves that will work for years and years... Yes they are more expensive but after 3 years those ball valves may or may no work if they last that long..

Jandy valve is what your actuator is connected to Intermatic/SuperPro SPE24VA Valve Actuator 24v

I actually just bought a few Jandy valves instead of ball valves that Lowes or HD sells. The major reason is that Jandy valve is chlorine-resistant. Thanks!

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Reducer works. See the picture. Muchas gracias!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.