Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Pentair SuperFlo VS pump to replace my old WhisperFlo, and going to install it today, but wanted to get some expert advice on a couple of things first.

In general, please check my plan of attack below and let me know if it will work, or if you see a better way.

I’ve worked in golf course maintenance all my life and installed/repaired a lot of irrigation pipe/valves/fittings, so I’m very comfortable with gluing and routing pvc, but this is a little different. With 10’s of thousands feet of pipe, 1000+ irrigation heads, and the associated valves and fittings, a golf course irrigation system is never going to be air tight. I think this work needs to be air tight, at least on the suction side.

Take a look at my pictures, you’ll see there are no unions on the existing pump, so I'm going to have to cut and replace one valve and existing fittings. There's not much room for new couplings, and I'd like to use unions in case I ever have to take it apart again. If I glue everything I’ll be digging in the ground to find room to put it back together the next time.

So, here’s my plan.

The SuperFlo is same dimensions as the WhisperFlo, and will drop right in place. The downstream side is easy, it’s the supply side that is going to be tough. The pump comes with unions to connect to my 2” pipe, and I’ll add unions at the other two yellow arrows. Then I’ll replace the T, valve, and 90, between the red arrows. The problem is the union on the pump isn’t long enough room to connect to the T, but too long to add another coupling and nipple. I’m not sure how to handle this without moving the pump back, and changing the straight run into the multi-valve and filter.

First question – How do I make that connection on the supply side of the pump?

Next question - Is it okay to use unions on the supply side of the pump. Am I too worried about it being 100%, completely air tight?

Last question – If I can use unions, what is the best choice? I’ve used a lot of those compression couplings in golf course irrigation repair, and obviously when making changes to this system without any problems, but not sure about using them on the supply side

Any other advice, tips, suggestions, all appreciated.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5eb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5eb.jpeg
    553.6 KB · Views: 0
Unions are fine to use anywhere but I don't think I would use compression fittings anywhere. If you don't have room on the pump suction side you'll need to cut back until you do. I would not get carried away on unions. Use them where it makes sense like maybe coming out of the ground but for that small bit of plumbing it is overkill.

I guess as long as I have unions on the pump future repairs will be much easier, so maybe no need to install the other unions.

I still have the problem connecting to the T that connects the valve and other two lines. The pump union needs a longer or shorter nipple. I've got 3.5 inches between the threaded part of the pump union and the edge of the T, and don't have a coupling or union small enough to fit in 3.5 inches.

The only options I see is to move the pump closer to the wall to have room for the union. Other than that is to move the valve to be vertical coming out of the ground.

I've looked at those unions on Amazon. I don't know why they wouldn't fit the SuperFlo, but in the "questions" someone says they don't. Plus I'm not sure they are small enough to help.

If I move the pump back I'll have to change that nice straight vertical run to filter. I don't know if that's something I should be concerned about or not. I can turn the 90 at the filter so it aims back a little, then add a 45 to shoot down to the pump.

I haven't thought about putting the valve on the vertical out of the ground, I'm going to look at that.

The valve on the vertical will work, but I don't think there is room for a union If I ever have to replace that valve I'll be digging into the ground to get enough existing pipe to connect to.

How big of an issue is an extra 45 in the line going to the filter? If it's not a big deal, I think moving the pump back a couple of inches is my best option.

The extra 45 is not that big a deal. On the vertical if you ever had to replace the valve, it looks like you'd have enough room to just put in another one. Worst case is dig a little, put in a coupler and a new straight piece before the new valve.

slide pump back as far as you can and use a coupling and the pump union on intake. from filter cut the 90 on edge and install a 45 angling back. piece of pipe between that and another 45 going to the pump. use the union on the outlet of pump too and you are good to go

Well, that went better than I thought it would. I ended up cutting about an inch off of the pump union and was able to connect to the existing pipe with a glue coupling, everything fit in place. I didn't have to move the pump back and add the 45's, and didn't have to replace the original valve, and fittings. The only problem was the suction side opening on the SuperFlo is about an inch lower than my old WhisperFlo. I measured overall length, and distance from intake to outflow, but didn't think to measure the height. I was getting everything ready to slide into place and glue it when I realized it didn't line up. I had to "shim" it to get to the right height. I'm not proud of that quick work, but I can clean it up later with something more permanent and better looking.

Here's finished job with new SuperFlo Vs pump, which is amazing. Shoulda done this a long time ago.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.