Plumbing 2 inlets on 1 run

I'm installing this pool below this spring. I will have 3 main return lines all three on separate runs from the pool equipment pad, and wanted to add an extra 4 inlets on the tanning ledge just to help blow debris off the ledge. My plan for the 4 tanning ledge returns was to run 2 extra lines and split them in the middle so each run as 2 inlets. Is this an issue?
Pool Input.png

Lon, I see you plan on having a Pentair Superflo VS installed. But the hydraulic experts like @mas985 and @JamesW, can you also tell us what size pipes will be used and the distance from the equipment pad back to the pool? That could help in the evaluation.

The problem that I see is that the more returns you have the the less flow you have at each eyeball... I am a big believer that almost any pool should have at least 4 returns, one on each "wall"... If I were to do what you want to do, I would have it run through a Jandy valve, so that I could run the normal pool returns and/or the ledge returns.

I really doubt the extra returns will keep you from needing to brush your ledge back into the pool..

But, I see nothing wrong with running two returns off of a single pipe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It shouldn't be a problem but how many suction lines are going to the pump? If there is less head loss on the return side than the suction side, that can cause cavitation in the pump. But with the sand filter that is unlikely with that setup.

My tanning ledge has a very distinct line of plaster pitting directly inline with the return outlet located on the ledge. I suspect this is due to the higher chlorine output of the SWCG concentrated on that spot. I cannot swear to this but keep this in mind.

It shouldn't be a problem but how many suction lines are going to the pump? If there is less head loss on the return side than the suction side, that can cause cavitation in the pump. But with the sand filter that is unlikely with that setup.
I have two skimmers 2" and the two main drains into 1 run also 2".

My thought was to actually turn down the flow on the tanning ledge, and push the stream down ward to the floor. I don't want it always disturbing the service of the water like shown in this picture, and cooling the pool down.

It's fine with 2" home runs in all suction. Run your returns off 2" manifold at 1.5" pipe and use 1 way valves. Then run a pair or 2" lines split to 1.5 for the tanning ledge. If you always plan to run this lower pressure run 1.5" and split that to 1.5 inch with a T. In actuality a 1.25" line can handle a return with a 1" eyeball just fine. They make 2 sizes of jandy/pentair valves. The smaller size takes 2" on outside and 1.5" on inside and is a clean way of reducing the pipe at the manifold.

Attachments

• 20180710_110502.jpg
    20180710_110502.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: ImLon2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.