Plug DE after drain?

Interesting. Could probably go either way. If you leave it out, maybe place a tiny screen material over it for those critters. If you install the plug, just tighten loosely. Even if it was tight, if the filter is dry there should be no cause for water expansion later.

Reactions: GaryParr
Might seem a silly question, but does everyone re-plug their DE filters after they drain them? I have visions of local field mice making a home in there over the winter if I don't.
I don't. I put the pressure gauge back on after I'm done with the compressor, take out the selector valve and cover the opening real good with several layers, but I don't do anything with the backwash tube opening. If the little critters want to crawl up in there, that's ok. They'll quickly get flushed out when the system restarts in spring. It's actually not a bad thought to plug openings, but I just never bothered. I've had mice chew holes in custom-made covers that I have for the pump and heater, but never any evidence of mouse stuff inside the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.