please suggest how to handle this leak.

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
For the past couple weeks I have suspected a leak because of abnormal water loss, we have not had rain and it has been unusually dry and the pump pad area remains wet so I was uncertain. It is not been unusual to see a little but a water around the pump pad over the years, but I keep the pump pad area pretty snug and a very little bit of water does not concern me.
Today I have confirmed my suspicion of a water leak by doing the following: going to the TFP thread regarding leaks, kept the pump off for 24 hours, bucket of water on the step to rule out evaporation, 24 hours later made a water level measurement.
I am losing about 0.25 inches in a 24-hour period so that is not insignificant.
I used food coloring to see if I could see a tendril indicating a leak at all of the usual places (skimmer, 2 returns, pool cleaner return, 2 jet returns). One of the Jets reveals a leak, the food coloring sucks right into the opening (the other jet return is about 2 feet away and seems fine).

The culprit jet return is:
- about 7.5 inches below the "ideal water level" (this ideal water level is irrelevant during winter closing)
- about 3-4 inches below the "tile line" which is just about exactly where winter/closed water level is.
- Just above a bench, practically in line with the drains in the deep end i.e. the culprit jet return in the deeper end of the pool,

This leak needs correction obviously, the question is fix it now or do it in spring? I'm pretty sure I want to do this now, before closing, unless you guys tell me that it is no big deal to lower my water level for winter closing another 3-4 inches deeper than normal winter/closed water level.

I am approximately 10-20 days away from closing the pool for winter, usually around October 20th.

The weather is certainly nicer to do work in the fall/now, the water temperature is presently warmer than it will be in the spring/opening, I will be having a pro do this, not me. The return pipe is underneath the concrete deck so there will be all that mess +pouring new concrete; again probably nicer to do now than in the spring.

The downside of having it done now/in the fall is that I will not confirm it works over the course of the winter. I suspect that I can have the Pro finish it within a week or so; so before closing. I suppose that I could just delay closing by 2-3 days to get 2or3 24-hour-tests to confirm it was solved. Even if I had the delay closing for weeks I suppose it is not a not that big of a deal, we do not get ice until December January February if at all, just more leaves to deal with, and just as well deal with the busted up concrete now than in the spring/opening (pool is easier to close that it is to open).

If I delay it until spring, I would need to keep the "winter/closing water level about another 3-4 inches lower in order to keep the water away from the leaking culprit jet during winter. This is less ideal for the structure of the pool. Also I will need to make a more concerted effort to keep an eye on the water level over the winter which is not easy with a cover on.
So my first question to you guys is: you would do it now, right?

My second question is: I assume that the pro will know where the leak is? I plan to call American leak detection, have worked with them before and they are good. I suppose it is feasible that I also have a leak around the pump pad area simply because it is more wet than it should be.

My next question is: I could not lose 0.25 inch of water at the pump pad area in 24 hours with the pump off could I? From some type of siphon effect? The pump pad is about 4-6 inches above the ideal water level, the jet pipe is another roughly 7.5 inches deeper yet until it rises at the pump area. I do understand that I could have more than one leak and perhaps maybe even in a different pipe. I would think of a pool this size that if I was losing 0.25 inches at the pump pad area it would be quite noticeable at the pump pad, which as I say is indeed wet and probably more what the normal but your comments & thoughts appreciated.

My final question is: I think I should try to plug that culprit jet line, right? To stop the leak until the pro gets here for his diagnosis. I did confirm that the leak is NOT where the plaster meets the pipe, the food dye sucks into the pipe not at its plaster junction. It is an eyeball. When I take the eyeball off it is some kind of weird size and weird internal. Here are notes I made describing the the jet piping (that the eyeball screws onto), it is not the crux of my concern with this post, but if you know I can go find a part quickly to close the pipe off I will do so; if you can provide a link of the part I need that would be great, in the meantime I will attempt to seal the eyeball myself and run the food coloring test again when I think I have it sealed.
pipe inside the wall appears to be 1 inch? Impossible to tell because of such a weird "pool-size" "eyeball" fitting that is fitted into it. The fitting goes inside a stub and then funnels outward away from the wall and then funnels outward to the threads etc., very complicated and furthermore if you stick your finger way inside the pipe you will feel some projection in the middle of the lumen.
-the outermost fixed/not removable male end with threads that the eyeball housing screws onto are NOT "1.5 inches at the threads" , it is some "pool-size" very close to 1.5inch;
-the removable housing that houses the mobile eyeball appears to be a 1 inch opening
-the mobile eyeball appears to be a 0.75 inch opening meaning that the pipes get reduced down to 0.75 inch for the massage/spa affect

I should mention that if I successfully close it off (no water loss), I will be perfectly happy with no jets (did not use them for a decade in the past, just resumed recently & that was only to improve surface flow which I can live without ). That is OK right? To just not repair the leak if I have no water loss since I have successfully isolated it & will not use the pipe in the future?

Thanks

Update: my attempt to seal off the culprit jet was successful, I tested again with food coloring dye and there is no tendril at all. So my preference of all of options I mentioned in my original post is to do nothing, simply leave the pipe closed off and not in use but also be sure that it remains isolated. The Jets do nothing for me went unused for years, and actually since I have 2 jets about 2 feet apart I assume that in reality I would still have one jet if I wanted it because I assume that the pipe that ends where the Jets enter into the pool is just one pipe that splits into two at the very end. If you guys okay just me closing it off, I will periodically confirm it remains sealed with food dye. I capped it off by filling the eyeball area with silicone caulk so feasibly that could break down over time at which time I will just remake it even if I have to buy another eyeball simply to close it off (apparently they don't make a eyeball-type attachment to cap something off).

Sounds like a plan. Monitor your filter pressure to see if operating with one jet increases it. You might be able to increase the size of the remaining jet if it has a changeable eyeball.

Take care.

Thanks mknauss ! I just messaged a couple guys hoping they would chime in literally seconds ago and I hope they do.

Yes the good jet of the two available jets has an oddball which I could simply remove and have it just exits straight into the pool with no "direction". Furthermore, if I turn the jets on at the pump pad's Jandy valve, there is no reason to have them full open.

Monitor your filter pressure to see if operating with one jet increases it.
That would mean that I am stressing the jet system with too much flow/input for the available exit/output, right? So what would be better to have no change in pressure or reduce the pressure, correct?

About the only thing I can think of when I would really want these Jets is if I was unable to use the non-jet return lines, then I would turn my single good jet on full I suppose. Am I probably correct that the two Jets are fed just by a single pipe and simply split into two near the very end with a into the pool.

Is my thinking above correct?

We don't get a lot of ice and snow here but it can happen. I have never lowered the winter/closing water level to below these 2 Jets and perhaps that is why there is a crack? The guy in the pool store ( not folks I have the most confidence in the special compared to this forum) said they recommend 3 to 4 inches below any return but that is so far down in my pool, my non-jet returns are even lower so 3-4 inch below them would be less than 50% water fill, so I have always just gone 3 to 4 inches below the tile line in fact I don't even care until ice is possible.
Any comments there appreciated.

If your pressure is increased it will put more stress on your silicon caulk plug. If your eyeball is removable, can you match up the threads to something with a plug in it? Or is the crack in the body of the return?

Using the jet returns I would suppose is to help with skimming. But you would have to determine that. If you have other means of returning your pool water without using the compromised jet returns I would use those. You would need to monitor if it creates other issues.

Freezing water can easily crack plastic. I would suppose you probably need to make a choice, close and winterize or keep open and circulate during cold weather. I believe there are other forum members from your state that keep their pools open all year.

Take care.

So my preference of all of options I mentioned in my original post is to do nothing, simply leave the pipe closed off and not in use but also be sure that it remains isolated.
A small leak is not really a problem by itself unless it is causing another problem. So that would be my preference.

About the only thing I can think of when I would really want these Jets is if I was unable to use the non-jet return lines, then I would turn my single good jet on full I suppose. Am I probably correct that the two Jets are fed just by a single pipe and simply split into two near the very end with a into the pool.
More often than not, that is the way they would be plumbed.

We don't get a lot of ice and snow here but it can happen. I have never lowered the winter/closing water level to below these 2 Jets and perhaps that is why there is a crack?
Does the pool water ever freeze solid? I wouldn't think so in that climate. The underground plumbing is the last to freeze and requires many weeks of sub-freezing temperatures. The pool water would probably freeze well before the underground plumbing because it is exposed to the air and does not have the ground insulating it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.