please help

You have not screwed ANYTHING up, you are doing good.

1) Adding 7 more lbs of Chlorine stabilizer should get you to 30 CYA. This is where we want you to be. You already added 1 lb, just add 7 more in socks. Let them soak and squeeze when you can, keep pump running.
2) Read and start the SLAM process. Print these instructions out and follow them. Ask any questions:
okay, I don't understand the math part....I'm an English teacher by trade--math is a foreign language :)

CYA takes a LONG time to dissolve. Wait 2-3 days after adding before you try to test. Wasting time and material trying to test sooner.

If you take a picture of the pool shock, we need the list of active ingredients, we can help you with the math part of the SLAM.

EDIT: It is a lot to process, but this forum is very helpful. And pools are pretty forgiving, we will get you through this.

Randy

Have you added any Muriatic after you tested 7.4? If no, then go ahead and add the 24 oz. Wait at least 30 minutes, then start the SLAM process.

okay, here's what I did...4 lbs of stabilizer (by weight) in each skimmer, FC is at 4 right now, correct? How much chlorine do I need to add in gallons?
2 gallons and 2 cups or 270 ounces?
What do you have for liquid chlorine? Does it say the % Sodium Hypochlorite on the bottle? Maybe a picture?

Knowing that, I can answer both of these questions.

CYA takes a LONG time to dissolve. Wait 2-3 days after adding before you try to test. Wasting time and material trying to test sooner.

If you take a picture of the pool shock, we need the list of active ingredients, we can help you with the math part of the SLAM.

EDIT: It is a lot to process, but this forum is very helpful. And pools are pretty forgiving, we will get you through this.

Randy

Attachments

• 09C080D0-E624-4F0D-B8F2-709D6D5B1336.png
    09C080D0-E624-4F0D-B8F2-709D6D5B1336.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GREAT!!! So in pool math, home screen, click on FC.
  1. Enter 30 at the top for CYA (We are adding this in the sock at the same time). Once you start to add the CYA using the sock method, assume it is in the water for your target level and use that for your SLAM level FC. You can even add test result for CYA of 30 so you don't have to constantly type in 30
  2. Move the SLAM slider to ON. This should make your target 12.
  3. It should also show your current fc of 4 (if you entered that test result). If not enter 4 for Current.
  4. Ignore the warning
  5. Enter Bleach for Sanitizer, 12.5 for %.

It should show you need to add 3 Gallons and 1 quart to get to SLAM level.

GREAT!!! So in pool math, home screen, click on FC.
  1. Enter 30 at the top for CYA (We are adding this in the sock at the same time). Once you start to add the CYA using the sock method, assume it is in the water for your target level and use that for your SLAM level FC. You can even add test result for CYA of 30 so you don't have to constantly type in 30
  2. Move the SLAM slider to ON. This should make your target 12.
  3. It should also show your current fc of 4 (if you entered that test result). If not enter 4 for Current.
  4. Ignore the warning
  5. Enter Bleach for Sanitizer, 12.5 for %.

It should show you need to add 3 Gallons and 1 quart to get to SLAM level.
It's giving me 270 oz, 2 gallons and 2 cups, based on all of that same info you wrote?

What is the pool size in Pool Math. Home screen, click the gear in upper right corner. Look for pool size.

Your signature says 34K, that is what I'm using. It may be that Jack has the actual size in the app, and it is slightly smaller.

thank you so much. I know the pool is not super complicated--I was just lucky to have a spouse who loved tinkering with it. We can talk about my perpetual frustration with my SWG going offline constantly later! :)
Great catch. While you are SLAMMING, turn off the SWCG!!!

IF you can see the bottom of the pool (deep end), it is safe to swim up to SLAM level FC. If you can't see the bottom, it is a safety hazard.

The more often that you can test and add Chlorine the faster it will go. Every hour is not too much. I don't want to scare you, but you should be prepared. I had a green pool and it is similar in size your your pool. Took me about 35 Gallons to clear the pool. Haven't had to SLAM since. You might want to start with 20 gallons, you can always take it back. When checking out the cashier looked at me and said, "I'm not going to ask..." I actually explained it and she said, "oh, that makes sense."

Was looking back at some of Jack's posts and pictures! You have a very nice pool! I would recommend that you remove the ladder and scrub inside the tubes.

Also, Scrub, Scrub, Scrub as often as you can the entire pool. Do you have lights? Can you post some pictures of the lights? Depending on the type of lights, you might have to remove them and scrub behind them. Scrubbing breaks down the biofilm on any algae in the pool and allows the chlorine to kill it.

Go Get 'Em!!! You got this!!
James Earl Jones Yes GIF

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.