please help

Jnet

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Chicago/Northwest, IL
Hi,

My name is Lisa and this was previously my husband's account. He took GREAT care of our 30,000 gallon pool with salt cell for the past five years. We live in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Jack was diagnosed with glioblastoma brain cancer in January and has declined cognitively so he cannot help me with any of the chemistry, mechanics or salt cell setup. I really want to take care of the pool myself but we came back from a trip and it is definitely green now and I've had a heck of a time keeping the salt cell working properly. As of yesterday, I've added pool shock and the chlorine level seems to be fine now, I added stabilizer and muriatic acid and I'm running the pump on high--but I cannot get the water to clear. Can anyone give me some perspective? It's been filtering for 24 hours--do I just need to wait? Thank you so much for any insight.

@Jnet
Lisa, So sorry to hear about your situation. Looks like you have a good test kit. Do you know how to use it?

If you know how to use it, could, please post your results using your K-2006.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We can help you get it right. Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

If you know how to use it, could, please post your results using your K-2006.

Here's what I'm doing step by step

FC: 10 ml water and add R-0870, goes pink, then 8 drop of R-0871 then 8x0.5 = 4 FC, is that right?

CC: 5drops of 0003 and nothing

pH R-0004 x 5 drops in 44 ml water reading of 7.4 on chart

TA- R0008 and then R-0009 18 drops on 0009 = 180?

CH - pink tinge, no red

CYA this didn't work at all, I can still see black dot and I have no idea what I'm comparing it to?

thank you!!

@Jnet
Your tests are fine. Yes 4 on the FC. Redo the CH, the pink is fine as a starting color that is actually the red. Add drops until it doesn't change color with the last drop. Subtract that last dot.

These might help, you can print them out:

Great, a couple steps will help
1) Do you have your husband's phone? Search for "Pool Math" Or download pool math if you have a smartphone Link here -->PoolMath This will help you with what to add and when. We'll help you use it.
2) Do you have muriatic acid? Look on the bottle and look for %, or post a picture of the bottle. We are going to add about 24 oz to the pool, depending on the strength. Tell us the strength and we'll help you with how much to add. Pour it in a pencil stream over a return. Wear some eye protection and stand upwind.
3) We are going to SLAM your pool to make it clear. Print these instructions out and we'll answer any questions you have INSTRUCTIONS --> SLAM Process

We got this!

okay, there's muriatic acid and I've added three gallons of pool shock, 2 yesterday, one today, do I add more?

I have access to pool math :)
Perfect.
  1. Use pool math and enter your current test results (plus at the bottom of home page, add test results, put in all the numbers, then press check in upper right hand corner).
  2. Then click on pH, put in a target of 7.2. Enter that your are adding 31.45% Muriatic. Should tell you to add 24oz. of Muratic.
  3. Go to this page below. Print it out. This is the process we are going to use. They are good instructions:

CYA this didn't work at all, I can still see black dot and I have no idea what I'm comparing it to?
You filled the bottle half with pool water and half with reagent, shook and waited at least 30 secconds, then FILLED the tube to the top and the water was still clear?

Here are the CYA test instructions and what it is supposed to look like at the end. You want to be outdoors, strong sunlight at your back. Fill to first line, hold at your waste and GLANCE at the black dot, don't stare. If you can see dot, fill to next line. When you cannot see the dot with a glance, you are done. Record that number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you said you added shock. Is this what you added or did you add something else?
If you added this, how much and how did you add it?
If it was something else, would you post a pic of that?
I added the following: 3 gallons of pool shock, then about 2 cups of stabilizer, one cup in each skimmer, stored in a sock so it dissolves slowly.

Did the cya test again...nothing...my test water is clear going into the comparator. Black dot is always visible, even from a glance.

I added the following: 3 gallons of pool shock, then about 2 cups of stabilizer, one cup in each skimmer, stored in a sock so it dissolves slowly.

Did the cya test again...nothing...my test water is clear going into the comparator. Black dot is always visible, even from a glance.
So the pool shock was liquid. Great, that's what gave you your 4FC.

Good job on the stabilizer...putting in socks. Two cups is about 14oz weighed, so call it 1lb. You want to add about 30ppm CYA to the pool, that would be 8 total. Given you have put in 1, you want to get the socks filled up with the other 7lbs. This will raise your CYA to 30. Let is soak about 30 minutes then start squeezing it will come out white from the sock, keep your pump on while the socks are in the skimmer.
2. Start the SLAM process. Did you read it? Does it make sense? Any questions?

So the pool shock was liquid. Great, that's what gave you your 4FC.

Good job on the stabilizer...putting in socks. Two cups is about 14oz weighed, so call it 1lb. You want to add about 30ppm CYA to the pool, that would be 8 total. Given you have put in 1, you want to get the socks filled up with the other 7lbs. This will raise your CYA to 30. Let is soak about 30 minutes then start squeezing it will come out white from the sock, keep your pump on while the socks are in the skimmer.
2. Start the SLAM process. Did you read it? Does it make sense? Any questions?
I'm totally lost...I'm sorry, it's a lot to process and I already feel like I've screwed it all up.

I'm totally lost...I'm sorry, it's a lot to process and I already feel like I've screwed it all up.
You have not screwed ANYTHING up, you are doing good.

1) Adding 7 more lbs of Chlorine stabilizer should get you to 30 CYA. This is where we want you to be. You already added 1 lb, just add 7 more in socks. Let them soak and squeeze when you can, keep pump running.
2) Read and start the SLAM process. Print these instructions out and follow them. Ask any questions:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.