Please help with stairs. Need a decision by tomorrow.

Mart21

Apr 23, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Hi,

new to the forum. Have several questions regarding the stairs.

We are in the process of having our in ground pool built. A bit of confusion between us and the pool contractor regarding the stairs. The bottom portion of the stair slants at 45 degrees. According to the Pool contractor this is normal. I have not been around many pools and even if I have, I haven’t paid enough attention to the stairs. We have 2 children, ages 2 and 9. We understand that the children will grow rather quickly. But is this an issue? We have an option to have create a small flat in front of that bottom stair or keep it as it is. Is this normal for pool bottoms?

Thank you for all the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 75876

How deep will that slant be? I'm not sure I like the idea of putting my foot down under water where I can't see it - expecting another step/flattish surface and "slipping" down that slope. I'm assuming this will be vinyl lined?

I see many stubbed toes and boo-boo knees due to stumbles caused by the slant when trying to step up. Then the heels of your feet as you try to step down from that and sliding down instead of just stepping down. Have not seen that before and can't think why it would be a good idea.

Kim:kim:

Thank you for all of the responses!

The slant has been fixed to look like the new pic I’ve included. May be it won’t be an issue now? I’m not sure if it can be fixed to be flat at this point.
Quite frankly we are extremely upset with this step and overwhelmed by this entire process. At this point, its probably taken several years off my life. I am assuming this was a design issue on his end because we did not confirm this and he won’t admit it.

- - - Updated - - -

35BF36A8-4319-4660-AD21-681B8EEA7BB2.jpg

Attachments

• 83099328-A404-49A9-87D1-30FF03DC87B6.jpg
    83099328-A404-49A9-87D1-30FF03DC87B6.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 66
How much of a drop is it from the last step to the bottom and how far out do you have to step to hit the flat bottom? I could envision a lot of slips getting in, maybe the picture makes it look worse than it actually is though. I would not accept it like that and have never seen anything like it before.

Salty

That last step will be around 16 inches before hitting the bottom. Anyone know if this will this be an issue stepping on and off? I apologize for all of the questions!

- - - Updated - - -

How much of a drop is it from the last step to the bottom and how far out do you have to step to hit the flat bottom? I could envision a lot of slips getting in, maybe the picture makes it look worse than it actually is though. I would not accept it like that and have never seen anything like it before.

Salty

will confirm tomorrow. I’ve included pictures of the step that was fixed today. there is still a slight slant. I will find out how big it is now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That last step will be around 16 inches before hitting the bottom. Anyone know if this will this be an issue stepping on and off? I apologize for all of the questions!

- - - Updated - - -

will confirm tomorrow. I’ve included pictures of the step that was fixed today. there is still a slight slant. I will find out how big it is now.

16” seems like a long drop, I thought there was something regarding code of not exceeding 12” unless the water depth is greater than 4’ which maybe yours is?

Salty

16” seems like a long drop, I thought there was something regarding code of not exceeding 12” unless the water depth is greater than 4’ which maybe yours is?

Salty

thanks! It is greater than 4, It’s 4.5. 16 seems like a lot to us too. What would you suggest? He cemented that step today. Is it too late to make two out of them? Getting really annoyed with this work.

Not too late at all. Lets talk step height..............in a house a step is to be 7" rise. Some pools go up to 12" rise. Some people are okay with that BUT the older folks and folks with physical issues can have a hard time with it being that high. The pool builder will say "The buoyancy of the water will make it all good" or something along those lines to get out of the work :( This is YOUR pool. Get it the way you want. Do not let them push you into something you do not want or like. You will live with this not them.

Not too late at all. Lets talk step height..............in a house a step is to be 7" rise. Some pools go up to 12" rise. Some people are okay with that BUT the older folks and folks with physical issues can have a hard time with it being that high. The pool builder will say "The buoyancy of the water will make it all good" or something along those lines to get out of the work :( This is YOUR pool. Get it the way you want. Do not let them push you into something you do not want or like. You will live with this not them.

You are so right! This is exactly what he said earlier today. This buoyancy thing is starting to annoy me! We do have older grandparents, which will most certainly make it more difficult.

So the first step is 13 inch. Already way out there. The second 16 at this point. Can’t redo the first as it is connected to the benches we have, I’m guessing the entire bench system would have to be redone. Should we break up the bottom 16?

Being the bottom step I’m not sure it would be too much of an issue since by the time you each that step you have the buoyancy of the water to assist. Having said that if you have the option to change I would do so. Our steps we 300mm 260mm and 340mm. We had them add an additional 40mm to the middle step to create 3 equal 300mm steps. I guess this is verging on too big for some people but we’re happy with it and don’t want to encroach on our tiny pool by adding more steps. My thing was that they be equal.

Me right?????? OH yeah! Have heard it more than once :roll: That is almost always their go to to get out more work.

Okay so lets back up a step or two............ (see what I did there? LOL sorry could not help myself)

You have two steps right now. They are poured cement correct? You say you cannot change the first step as it is "tied into your bench". I am not seeing what you mean in my head. ANY thing can be changed in my eyes.

How tall is the first step from the edge of the pool? How far is the second step to the first one? We know the second step is 16" from the bottom.

Do you have room on the floor to bring the whole set up steps out more?

Me? I would not allow the steps to be more than 10" in rise and I would try for 8" if at all possible. The steps should be even in size to stop trip hazards.

Let me know how THIS conversations goes. I am behind you all of the way. Now if you need me to come use my Kindergarten teacher voice on him.........well that can be arranged for the price of a plane ticket LOL Lets just say I have made grown men go pale!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.