Please help me!!!

Ajordan99

Jun 5, 2022
Richland springs texas
We have an intex above ground pool with a sand filter and we run it salt water. I have this mess on the bottom of my pool and I don’t know what it is. I’ve shocked the pool. I just can’t get it out. I can scoop some out with a net but there is just too much and it’s too fine. We have no trees near us. It’s definitely a green color and I can brush most of it loose so I have it all pushed into the corner. Is this algae? If so what kind and how do I get rid of it fast?!? I can add more pics of what it looks like out of the water if needed. Let me add we have well water and I’ll post a pic of the strip after I shocked the pool. I am a complete newbie and have no idea what I am doing so I need dumbed down answers please the water is crystal clear but the bottom is a bit slimy. Not bad but a little bit. It’s a 24x12x48 I believe

Attachments

• E16A6081-6BCA-401B-A14A-8DB8BA047545.jpeg
    E16A6081-6BCA-401B-A14A-8DB8BA047545.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2CBF47AF-6294-4259-A8C2-EF7A8BDD1548.jpeg
    2CBF47AF-6294-4259-A8C2-EF7A8BDD1548.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

I am fairly new here but have read enough to believe I can help get you started. TFP advocates using only two test kits. Everything else (whether strips or performed at a pool store) is suspect.

The recommended test kits are either the TF-100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C available on Amazon. You can read more about test kits here: Test Kits Compared

When you have a few minutes, it will also be helpful for the more experienced users if you fill out your profile and signature with more specifics about your pool (size in gallons?), equipment, etc.... You can look at mine for an example.

Since I can't see the test labels in your pic, I assume one of the ones on the far right is CYA though it may not be accurate for reasons previously stated. TFP methods suggest you use a certain amount of FC based on your CYA level. If your CYA is really high, you may not be maintaining your free chlorine (FC) high enough to keep algae under control. You can read more about that here: Chlorine / CYA Chart. Shock products are not recommended here.

Not experienced enough to know if that is Algae or not. Based on your description, I would guess that it is. To know for sure, you will need to perform an OCLT: Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that correctly until you get a good test kit.

Based on the results of tests performed with one of the two recommended kits, you are likely going to need to perform a SLAM. Read about it here: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain

While waiting on your test kit to arrive, read through the pool school articles here: Pool School

I hope that helps get you started....a little...while waiting on one of the more experienced users to also chime in.

I am a complete newbie and have no idea what I am doing so I need dumbed down answers please the water is crystal clear but the bottom is a bit slimy. Not bad but a little bit. It’s a 24x12x48 I believe
Hey, almost everyone here has been in the same position. We got you! Dumbed down version:
  1. You likely have algae.
  2. You cannot properly care for your pool without a decent test kit. I would purchase this test kit. Do it now. Get the smart-stir and XL options. The smart stir mixes your tests constantly and gives super accurate results. The XL is because you will likely need the reagents. TF-100 Test Kit ™
  3. You have an 8640 gallon pool. Add 1/2 gallon of Liquid Chlorine or bleach DAILY until your test kit arrives. You can find Liquid Chlorine at big box stores. If you buy bleach, do not buy anything that has splashless, 3 in 1, advanced technology, fragrances or anything else listed on the label. Adding this daily will keep the algae from growing.
  4. When you get your test kit, post your results and we will help.
  5. No question is a stupid question.
Oh, and for inspiration from the 100s of thousands that preceded you:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.