Please help me understand this information

Jun 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Hello everyone:

I have had my pool for a couple of weeks now. I'm learning from the pool builder and have finished his instructions. He has been helpful. I have been reading faithfully this website as well. This website has provided me with so much information, and I appreciate all of you here.

Well, today I have tried out all of these tests in the TF 100 kit. I have only been testing using the little blue taylor box that tests total chlorine and ph here.

Here is my data today. I have a SWG that says 3000 now on the readings. My pool has 18,000 gallons.

However, I know I am off on a few things. My builder gave me some test strips, but I'm not wanting to use them. I want to learn using this TF 100 instead.

TC: 1 . 2
FC: 3
pH: 7.2
CC: Slightly pink
TA 24 x 100= 2400 . ( however this was just pink, not red). I kept going until 53 droplets, but it just got darker pink. Does it ever get red?
CYA: For this test tube, I always saw the black dot all the way up to the top...so I cannot get this reading...

Obviously, I am TERRIBLE at getting readings, and I hope to get better.

This am I put (in a sock tied to the pool) some cyanuric acid (from Home Depot---called pool stablizer)...since my ph was very low/nonexistent this am...) . I took it out a couple of hours later....

I really do not know what I am doing. My son says that he smells something, but I smell nothing. The robot Polaris is going around right now. What should I do?

Try watching this for tips -- http://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

If you like it in print - Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Your TA test is invalid. Only go until it turns pink/red. I can never tell the difference. Be sure to wipe off the dropper tip after each drop the first few times you do the test. Static builds up and makes the drops too small.

FC is fine with your low CYA. How much have you put in? Why did you take it out? The pH you show is fine.

Once you get some CYA in the water we can help you dial in your SWCG.

I think you should go swimming.

A little splashing will help raise the pH. Your TA is not 2400, by the way. It's probably 240 or 250. The way that test works is that it goes green to greyish to pink to Barbie Pink. When you get Barbie Pink and the next drop doesn't make it any brighter, you deduct that useless drop and multiply by the factor.

You bought the right stuff to raise the CYA. Go ahead and put it in. It's a weak acid. It's not going to crash the pH.

Thank you! I will watch these youtube videos. I haven't put in any chlorine this week. My swg has been going. When the machines were not hooked up, I added chlorine that I purchased. However, right now, I have not added any. Should I? I have a gallon left in my garage. I can go get more.

Thank you

Your pool needs CYA. Target 50 ppm right now. Include the amount you have all ready added.

Then follow [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Use liquid chlorine to raise to your target level and the SWCG to maintain it at that level.

Ok...now I feel like a miniature chemist!

I just tested again. I didn't know that the little "pill" made the testing water circulate on the speed stirrer. I'm so happy that I didn't throw that away.

Here's the second time I tested everything. I think this might be more correct.

On the Taylor box:
CL: 1 . 2
Ph 7.5

FC: 1
CC: 1
Then it says on the directions: FC + CC = TC. Therefore 1 + 1 = 2. Is 2 ok for a SWG?

TA 190 (This time I got 19 droplets, x 10)
CYA= Always saw the little dot.... It never got cloudy

I'm going to add my gallon of chlorine now. However, the page that you directed me to doesnt say anything for FC 1 for SWG pools. I'm confused.
I might be a pro in a week or two.

Because FC of 1 is too low no matter what.

TC is not meaningful. No need to test your chlorine with the color comparator test in the blue box. Use the pH test in that only.

Right now you have a non-SWCG pool. Until you get your CYA to 60+ and fully using the SWCG follow the non-SWCG chart.

Just turn off your SWG until you get everything dialed in and then you can let it take over. Get some liquid chlorine in there ASAP. CC of 1 could be troublesome. Did it take two drops to clear it once you added the 5 drops of the 3rd bottle? Usually anything over .5 for CC means that something is growing in the water, so I would add enough liquid chlorine to get your FC up to at least 10 and see if that doesn't change your numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.