Please, help me understand the TFP way and why anyone would want to work on their pool daily?

daily work on a pool seems like you never get to enjoy your pool
Yep....I get where you're coming from. Most here will say that the TFP way is, however, relatively maintenance free short of keeping up on the chlorine - which, I think, is checked on a daily basis. I would say that NOone ever put a pool in for the sake of having less work to do though - kinda like buying a bigger house if the goal is to have less cleaning, etc. Doesn't work that way. There have SURE been times over recent years where I've felt like converting the thing into a flowerbed. I mean, how many people have a fancy flowerbed with a granite border around it?!

Thing is....the work on the pool is part and parcel of the season. Unlike perhaps many here, I'm not a fan of summer in any way, shape, or form. Were it not for getting to swim (in my own pool as opposed to having to drive to a public facility), and getting to plant and enjoy the annuals and perennials, otherwise I have no use for hot, summer weather at all and dislike the humid weather that we get here in the northeast increasingly so as the years go on. Yard work, mowing, keeping up the property, trimming, weedwacking...all of that stuff....starts to loom larger as I get older.

All the above said, though, I think it's a bit of a 'myth' by people who have never owned a pool that it is a constant load of work to maintain one. It CAN be for sure...like in my case...but much of that I bring on myself in trying to hang on to a chemical system that is known to be more time consuming and surely NOT trouble free. Maybe I need to start a new forum for those who have the 'non troublefree pools'...the NTFP method... 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
Yep....I get where you're coming from. Most here will say that the TFP way is, however, relatively maintenance free short of keeping up on the chlorine - which, I think, is checked on a daily basis. I would say that NOone ever put a pool in for the sake of having less work to do though - kinda like buying a bigger house if the goal is to have less cleaning, etc. Doesn't work that way. There have SURE been times over recent years where I've felt like converting the thing into a flowerbed. I mean, how many people have a fancy flowerbed with a granite border around it?! Thing is....the work goes with the season. I'm not a fan of summer in any way, shape, or form. Were it not for getting to swim in my own pool as opposed to going to a public facility, and getting to plant and enjoy the annuals and perennials, otherwise I have no use for hot, summer weather at all. Yard work, mowing, keeping up the property, trimming, weedwacking...all that Crud....starts to loom larger as I get older.
Probably true that chlorine added daily is daily chore with TFP, but cleaning out the skimmers is another one, depending on where you live. Though with a SWCG, I only need the kids to clean out the skimmers, no adding chlorine anymore. The cicada’s have been committing suicide in my pool for the last month.

The cicada’s have been committing suicide in my pool for the last month.
LOL...I've yet to see one around here. Every summer I dread the arrival of the japanese beetles. My yard looks like fall already by the end of July since those little suckers decimate my birch trees. This time I'm putting down some milky spore and see if that starts to help - didn't get around to it yet though...too busy working ON THE POOL!!!

cleaning out the skimmers is another one
That's a piece of cake...never know what I'll find in there...mice, frogs, rabbits, chipmunks. At least there's some variety to that aspect of the maintenance...but the filter is the same old, same old. Often considered going to sand (since the pool store has all but begged me to convert to sand if still wanting to stick with baqua...could it have anything to do with the fact that they conveniently do the work AND charge an arm and a leg to cart away the spent sand when needed?) but many have told me that if I'm used to the water clarity obtainable with DE that I won't be happy with the results of sand (?) I can't speak to that. Some here have surely contested the idea that sand filter does not provide the same level of water clarity - makes sense from the standpoint of not affording as fine a filtration (though that too might be debatable....most things are when you get right down to it). It's a known thing that DE and baquacil are not exactly happy bedfellows. I DO like the idea of SWG. That would be my preferred mode if going back to chlorine. I pretty much hear nothing but good things about it.

Yep....I get where you're coming from. Most here will say that the TFP way is, however, relatively maintenance free short of keeping up on the chlorine - which, I think, is checked on a daily basis. I would say that NOone ever put a pool in for the sake of having less work to do though - kinda like buying a bigger house if the goal is to have less cleaning, etc. Doesn't work that way. There have SURE been times over recent years where I've felt like converting the thing into a flowerbed. I mean, how many people have a fancy flowerbed with a granite border around it?!

Thing is....the work on the pool is part and parcel of the season. Unlike perhaps many here, I'm not a fan of summer in any way, shape, or form. Were it not for getting to swim (in my own pool as opposed to having to drive to a public facility), and getting to plant and enjoy the annuals and perennials, otherwise I have no use for hot, summer weather at all and dislike the humid weather that we get here in the northeast increasingly so as the years go on. Yard work, mowing, keeping up the property, trimming, weedwacking...all of that stuff....starts to loom larger as I get older.

All the above said, though, I think it's a bit of a 'myth' by people who have never owned a pool that it is a constant load of work to maintain one. It CAN be for sure...like in my case...but much of that I bring on myself in trying to hang on to a chemical system that is known to be more time consuming and surely NOT trouble free. Maybe I need to start a new forum for those who have the 'non troublefree pools'...the NTFP method... 😆
That forum's #1 sponsor would be pool stores.:laughblue:

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
So, I am learning, and you guys brought me up to speed quickly, which I am super grateful for. From what I read CYA is a big problem for year round pools, but I am a touch longer than memorial and Labor Day. My builder said he would be happy to take my money to put in a SWG, but he said if it was his pool he wouldn’t do it. Other than the staining, my pool has been crystal clear since I took over from the pool co. I also had a hard time sourcing liquid chlorine as you may recall. then I read the same article on chlorine shortage so I loaded upon HTH pucks. I don’t disagree with your methods, I am just navigating a few variables, and figuring this all out. Appreciate all your insights.
I just put in a SWG. Im curious why your PB said he wouldn’t do it. Rust? All my stuff was rusting with a salt level of 1200ppm. Coping stones? Already breaking apart prior to a SWG. Muriatic acid? I’m burning through it at the exact same rate I was prior.

Effectively, there’s been no difference so far except I don’t have to hire a company or lug LC around. My FC is optimum all the time.

I heard the same thing from people about SWGs and I was skeptical, but I have been pleasantly (read: shockingly) surprised so far.

Reactions: kimkats
That's a piece of cake...never know what I'll find in there...mice, frogs, rabbits, chipmunks. At least there's some variety to that aspect of the maintenance...but the filter is the same old, same old. Often considered going to sand (since the pool store has all but begged me to convert to sand if still wanting to stick with baqua...could it have anything to do with the fact that they conveniently do the work AND charge an arm and a leg to cart away the spent sand when needed?) but many have told me that if I'm used to the water clarity obtainable with DE that I won't be happy with the results of sand (?) I can't speak to that. Some here have surely contested the idea that sand filter does not provide the same level of water clarity - makes sense from the standpoint of not affording as fine a filtration (though that too might be debatable....most things are when you get right down to it). It's a known thing that DE and baquacil are not exactly happy bedfellows. I DO like the idea of SWG. That would be my preferred mode if going back to chlorine. I pretty much hear nothing but good things about it.
Hope you are doing well. I have made the switch and have been dialing in the SWG RJ'30+ this past week. The DE and SWG have been the best money spent on this pool ever... when I first fired up the SWG on Memorial Day, I added a quart of LC to get balanced. All my numbers are to spec, haven't added any LC for a week, and its crystal clear. Still have 3 or more months of pool season but feel super confident in the TFP system, Taylor kits. The Lamotte Q2x I also purchased has been a bust for testing. The digital reader will shut off halfway through testing and I have to start all over. Looking into getting a refund from seller or manufacturer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool potions only work for true believers. If it doesn’t work for you it is because you did not believe enough.
I used to pray to the pool store gods, they would say add $300 worth of this and wait 48 hours and bring in another water sample.

Pool potions only work for true believers. If it doesn’t work for you it is because you did not believe enough.
Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF by Turner Classic Movies

I do believe.. I do, I do, I do, I do....

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF by Turner Classic Movies

I do believe.. I do, I do, I do, I do....
DANGIT Guzzy !!!! I was *just* gonna ask if I needed to think happy thoughts like with fairy dust or it just worked like Santa Clause.

but now that you mention it………. I’ll get on down the road and go ask the ‘Wiz.

• Haha
Reactions: mguzzy
You use half pool water and half tap water, shake it up and then empty half of it down to your original line. Then add your CYA solution and run the test like normal. Then you just double the result at the end.
I ran the test, and I still didn't get a great reading - as in it didn't even hit the 100 mark. I know folks don't believe in pool store readings, but they report 99 every time I have them test it. I am still self testing as well, and their results are generally not wildly off mine on everything else. FC is at 10.5, water is still clear, but when the kids jump in it almost looks a little soapy around them almost like dishwater. I was reading about chlorine lock, but that doesn't seem to be real. If my CYA is high, the only solution appears to be to drain and refill, right? Pool store said don't worry about CYA, and chlorine should start burning off as we get into the hotter days, but its slow going. Part of me is starting to think that the cover being on most every day, because we only use it in the evenings and on the weekends and we haven't had many sunny days, its just not getting used. Water really is clear. Due to the cover there is virtually nothing in the skimmers. It's just frustrating. Even if I switch to liquid chlorine, that won't fix my CYA problem, right? So before I make the switch I have to fix CYA. So am I destined for buying a pump and draining the pool? I am on a well so not really worried about water cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.