Please help me figure out how to get chlorine in my pool

piapool

Jul 9, 2019
west chester, pa
We have a 22K gallon natural concrete pool that we fight with every summer (owned it for 4 summers - though it was built 20 years ago). I have been using a pool store for testing because I thought they would be more accurate than me guessing the color shades. I am constantly throwing chlorine in and rarely get it to register over .3 The pool water is clear and looks great right now, but we typically fight black algae during the later part of the summer because of the inability to get the chlorine levels up and the rough surface of the pool. After complaining about it to the pool store (I believe my problems are over their heads and they don't know how to help me) and doing some research online, I decided that I would start trying to use liquid chlorine - We typically use the tablets and was also using power chlor to try to raise the chlorine levels. Even with the 4 gallons of chlorine I threw in last night, I am only getting a .3 reading this afternoon. My CYA levels are at 150 and TDS levels are 1500 based on their test at the store., but my test strips show my stabilizer levels as very low. What do I need to do? I have read that emptying the pool and refilling is a possible solution but I am not sure how to go about that and how much it needs to be emptied.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Good advice above

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll help you understand chlorine a little better as well as the other parameters that are essential to good pool management.

We can all help you get your pool pristine and especially help you to understand why.

You will need a good test kit to practice the methods we teach. It's a break from what you have been doing and it works. Keep reading the forum.

Thank you. I've been reading a lot!I have a Taylor k1004 test kit and 6-way test strips that I use, but I have relied on the weekly pool store results and advice as well. Today's results show Alkalinity at 101, PH 6.9 (I added 4 lbs of balance pak 200 yesterday which only brought my reading from a 6.8 to this 6.9) and free chlorine and total chlorine at .3 (from yesterday's 0 reading and 4 gallons of liquid chlorine). The CYA is 150 (which is the max reading) and TDS is 1500. My test results line up with theirs, for the most part, except for my test strips saying my stabilizer is low and their CYA reading being high. Do I really need to buy another test kit when I already have all this information?

Do I really need to buy another test kit when I already have all this information?

If you really want to get control of your pool you need a quality test kit. Anything less you are flying blind. Strips are not accurate enough and pool store testing is free for a reason.
The 6lb of Balance Pak 200 you bought for $20 is 100% Sodium Carbonate. Check the ingredient in a box of baking soda you probably have at home.
Everything you need to balance your pool can be purchased for less at the hardware or grocery store. Knowing your water chemistry is the foundation. Learning how to balance your water reliably and inexpensively will result in a Trouble Free Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.