Please help me balance my pool just refilled new pool owner

Greenspan

Apr 12, 2020
Phoenix AZ
Hi Everyone, New pool owner got the TFP test kit and the pool math app. I knew my pool was way too high on CYA so I drained and refilled today. Unfortunately I am using the pucks for now (rental house when I buy I will get a SWG). I understand the pucks will lower PH and ALK over time also I think? so not sure if I should try to mess with PH and ALK. As of right now all I have done is fill the water and thrown in some floating pucks, what should I do next? shock, stabilizer?

pebble tech pool
FC 0
PH 7.8
TA 180
CYA 0

Welcome to TFP.

How many gallons in your pool? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

You need FC and CYA. Don’t worry about your TA yet.

Every 10,000 gallons a Trichlor tablet will add 5.5 ppm of CL and 3.3 ppm of CYA and lower pH by 0.29. You can use tablets until your CYA gets to around 40. After that you should use liquid chlorine.

The acid in the Trichlor should handle your pH and TA.

You have the pucks in a floater?

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to TFP.

How many gallons in your pool? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

You need FC and CYA. Don’t worry about your TA yet.

Every 10,000 gallons a Trichlor tablet will add 5.5 ppm of CL and 3.3 ppm of CYA and lower pH by 0.29. You can use tablets until your CYA gets to around 40. After that you should use liquid chlorine.

The acid in the Trichlor should handle your pH and TA.

You have the pucks in a floater?

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks, I will create a signature, pool is a smallish 10,000 gal. Yes currently have a couple pucks in a floater. Should I add the CYA now? I guess since you are saying not to worry about PH and TA now is a good time to add the CYA? Also thanks, read the links and have a rough understanding but I have never actually done any of this.

Last edited:
Let the pucks add the CYA.

If you add stabilizer you will have to stop using the pucks sooner.

You will hit max CYA of 40 after 12 pucks are used.

Green, welcome. I think you need to get some liquid chlorine into the pool asap as the pucks are slow at it and you don't want an algae problem to start then you could maintain with the pucks if you choose and watch the CYA.10 pucks will give you some 30 CYA but in Arizona you'll need higher CYA to save the chlorine from sun burn off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.