Please help me , Algae problem

Karla2121

May 13, 2020
dallas texas
Hi guys we are having some problems with what i think is algae , we went to a pool store to get the water tested ( i will post my results if i figure how to ) like you guys know they sale you all this products , we treat our water for like 4 days in a row .. We vacuum and vacuum and next day same thing , after we vacuum the pool turn in to this horrible green /white cloud .
we are new to this pool stuff , i don't know what to do and i have no idea of what im doing lol.
I read some of the threads here but i dont know if I'm stupid 🤣😂 but i dont understand all this Chemistry stuff😆😆
we have a sand pump , the pool is a coleman 18x42 , sun hit the pool all day , we use those chlorine tablets (3) .
I really really Appreciate any help you guys can give me ❤🙏 Thank you so much For whoever takes the time to reply to help me .

Attachments

• 20200806_000038.jpg
    20200806_000038.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 36
Welcome to the forum fellow Texan. Pool tests from Leslie's or other pool stores are always questionable so the first order of business would be to get your own test kit - the recommended one is TF-100 from tftestkits.net Then you can conduct your own tests and be more consistent in your how you treat your pool. However based on what you have been told, the 2 glaring issues are your CYA (Cyanuric Acid) which is too low and allowing the sun to eat all your chlorine. Second is that you have no chlorine to fight the algae. To fight the algae you will need to buy liquid chlorine and stop using chlorine tablets as in the long-term they will also cause issues. I suggest that @mknauss or @zea3 respond to you on specifics. You will want to read up on pool chemistry (this forum has lots of easy to understand articles. See the Pool School section. There is an article called SLAM (Shock, Level and Maintain). Also go to youtube and search for troublefreepools where it demonstrates how to test your pool water, how to SLAM and other using information. You may also want to consider a subscription to the PoolMath app that helps calculate chemical doses for the pool based on your test results.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

First of all, we need you to fill in your signature so we can better help you. Click on your name or profile picture on th upper right, then click Signature. Include your pool info, your equipment, how you test.

Next, you need a proper test kit. You will need either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, links below in my signature. Test strips are worse than useless, and testing at pool stores is notoriously unreliable. Be prepared -- you may have to drain some of your water because of using tabs. They pump a lot of CYA into a pool, which inhibits the chlorine to some extent, and makes it so you have to use massive amounts of chlorine to get any sanitizing action. Normal CYA is 30 to 40 -- in your situation, with full sun in the pool all day, in TX, you could get away with 40 to 50. But I'd be willing to bet your CYA right now is well over 100.

Finally, you need to do a SLAM Process. In a nutshell, test your CYA (cyanuric acid, or stabilizer), lower your pH to 7.2, then bring your FC (free chlorine) up to the SLAM level prescribed in the FC/CYA Levels. Then maintain that FC by testing 3 or 4 times a day, more if you can manage it, and adding enough liquid chlorine to bring it back up to SLAM levels. Brush the pool thoroughly every time you test.

You can do this! Get your test kit, start your SLAM, follow the directions precisely, and your pool will be crystal clear and sparkling in no time! And for a bit of light reading, check out ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and browse Pool School.

Reactions: Teald024
Hi Karla, glad you found us and welcome! TFP is the best thing you can do for yourself and your pool. We got you. Don't worry if you only understood a tenth of that above. That still beats my 2% when I first found TFP!! ;) Just keep asking questions and try your best to march through the steps we'll give you: stay out of the pool store, fill in your signature, buy the test kit, post your test results, etc. Before you know it your pool will be crystal clear and amazing! Start here and try to do all the steps:
Our experts will be along in a bit to help you get your pool problems resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Hello and Welcome to TFP!

@Wobblerlorri gave you great advice above.
While you are waiting for the test kit to arrive, each day you can add a half jug of liquid chlorine (bleach) to prevent it from getting worse. You can get this from your favorite grocery or hardware store. Just get the store brand, NOT splashless, unscented, with no special additives.
I highly recommend the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits.net. It is the best kit you can get as a homeowner with a pool. Don’t let the price stop you because it’s worth every penny. this is one item you don’t buy on price, you buy on quality and fitting your needs.

Reactions: Dirk
Hey again Karla! :wave: You've had several people post here already, so I don't want to add too much to the mountain of info you may be trying to process. :crazy: But I want to re-cap a few important points:
- Testing your own water is very easy. Do not feel intimidated. None of us are chemists, we just followed the instructions.
- No one will care for your pool better than you. While some of us can't fix our own computers, car, or air conditioner, you can fix your pool water by following our simple principles. It all starts with a TF-100 test kit (link in my signature).
- Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It's the first thing we look for on each post.
- Stay out of the pool store. They will steer you in the wrong direction and be happy to over-charge you for products you don't need. Those chlorine tablets are a perfect example.
- Tablets are convenient because you drop them in and walk away, but they are hurting your chemistry - hence the algae.
- Get yourself liquid chlorine to increase that Free CHlorine (FC) level. Go to Walmart for their Pool Essentials, or Home Depot in their pool section where they have 3-packs of HDX pool chlorine for $9.98.

We can help you, but the home testing is very important. Have a nice weekend.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.