Please help. Haven't opened pool in 3 1/2 years. Never had a pool! Severe help needed

No luck on 3rd return the weather has been terrible and expecting worse today.
This morning did fc test it was at 10.5
CH was at 50 but we knew that.
Added 29 pounds of hardner as per pool math but on the bucket it claimed to get it to 250 it said add 37 pounds. Obviously went with pool math but we will see.
How long to wait before testing CH again?
Also I put cya in 2 socks near both returns, one I almost empty the other has a bit more. How long should it be before it has all been spread into pool? I've been squeezing it every now and then also.

CYA took all day to dissolve out of sock and I kept squeezing every 15 min or more (yes, I preach patience and have none, usually gets me in trouble). Then after dissolved will probably take 7 days to read accurately, but you know how much you added and can always adjust if you find pool volume is different.
I really do not know how long CH takes to register, but I think a few hours would be ample, I do not think it is like CYA. TA and ph about 30 min.

Pool math is really accurate IF your pool volume is correct and the Chemical is pure, look on label to see ingredients and it may have a few things in it besides calcium chloride, therefore needing more.

Are you brushing pool it will help, kill stuck on algae faster. How are you doing with vacuuming. You may not have been doing either because of weather but thought I would ask

Clarity of water looking good in pic, you may have a few more bumps in filtration, but it sure seemed to be pretty clear to me. A good vacuum to get dirt out may really clean it up. Do not be surprised if visibility gets worse after stirring up all the stuff on bottom but a good vacuum may go a long way way to speeding up the process.

Ok so started vacuuming and everything was going great then after maybe 15 minutes lost total suction. Skimmers had no pressure being sucked out, filter basket clean and couldnt feel anythijg stuck in part of pump that water feeds through, couldn't feel anything in the skimmer tube stuck a close hanger down and nothing came up. Ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you were vacuuming to waste and no junk in pump filter basket, I would guess the clog is before the pump. If you open the second skimmer and bottom drain then pump to waste to be sure there is no problem post pump. If the pressure is low and water gushing out waste tube you know post pump is OK. Then turn off pump, switch to filter, turn pump back on what is the pressure? Too High, backwash, too low, not enough water. Then turn off bottom drain, if pump does not start sucking air or being starved for water (pressure decreasing), you know water is coming from skimmers. So turn bottom drain back on, go plug the secondary skimmer, come back turn off bottom, again if pump not getting starved it has to be in vacuum hose (assuming hose is disconnected).

Hey check out my logic see if I made a mistake, I went through it in my mind quickly

I stole this quote from another thread but thought it might bring things into perspective and help motivate but instead of starting with "If" I would start with "When:

If you get this sorted out... And maintain your pool properly, and close it properly... You'll never have to do this again. So take heart. This is a once in a lifetime battle. I opened my first pool after only one year of non-use. It took me three solid weeks of work. The first week was scooping and bleaching. Second was vacuuming and bleaching. By week three I only had to chlorinate once a day

I ran about before checking out your post, I will attempt that but as of now I backwashed, put to filter and there is some suction coming from the skimmers and returns are pumping but pressure is teetering around 13-14 when usual is around 20

I would say you probably still have partial blockage, 1st is to find out where, then how to clear. I do not think either are insurmountable. Now that you know your system check out my logic from post above, if pressure drops when you isolate a section that indicates at least partial blockage. My guess is it is between main skimmer you were vacuuming on and the pump. I would use a garden hose and open pump, take out basket put hose down feed to pump pipe, shut off bottom drain plug secondary drain and then with my hand seal around opening so that water will rush toward blockage (if blockage is where I think it is).

Let the pool clear more before vacuuming so you're not vacuuming blind and consider getting one f these if debris is clogging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EW6EGI/ref=asc_df_B000EW6EGI5017104/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000EW6EGI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151535350&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15986292221186237717&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017527&hvtargid=pla-313230192626

To clear the clog now in your lines, toggle the main and skimmer valves off and on/back and forth to try to clear, or get a drain king lie this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKOZ6A/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2972357942&pd_rd_wg=Yokpx&pf_rd_r=4AGFAMWAG872REKSFZR2&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B000KKOZ6A&pd_rd_w=X6dN2&pf_rd_i=Drain+king&pd_rd_r=7DWHMRFA5B1MS2S96RA0&ie=UTF8&qid=1496713800&sr=2

Soon enough, if you partially closed te drain and leave skimmer wide one and vigilantly slam you will be able to see what's on the bottom and be able to evaluate whether or not you need the leaf cannister.

Once you're water is mor clea, you'll let it settled overnight and then do a slw vac to waste.

So I bought that expandable piece to help move along the mess and it seemed to have worked slightly but it says to put it 6 inches into the pipe. It only fits straight down but does not turn so I can't get it in that far. I attempted vacuuming again and it was going well, nothing big like leafs just all algae on bottom, then lost all pressure. Cleaned everything tried check skimmer lines and used the expandable piece again to shoot water through but no good. I have 0 pressure on the pump.

Sounds like you have a good blockage, if you remove the pump basket can you put the Drain King down that way, if not, disconnect pump and go in that way. If that fails you need a longer piece of wire, something like a fish for electrical wire or better yet a drain snake, not a roto router, that is too strong and too expensive, but a long flexible coiled type wire with a tip on the end to run down drain stiff enough to push through, flexible enough to around bends. Think I saw cheap electrical fish at Home Depot for $10, I think a drain snake more expensive but I do not know, it would be better tool for job.

When you are vacuuming do you have the skimmer basket in under the vacuum plate, I would think that would catch anything that would clog the line?

Did you try turning on bottom drain and skimmers to feed pump? If that still yields 0 pressure on pump either both lines clogged or something with pump.

PS:
can you use garden hose without tip to act as a snake and reach the Blockage?

- - - Updated - - -

If you can not get pressure on pump, be sure to brush often to get good circulation, especially after adding chlorine.

I need to buy a longer hose it won't reach the pump but not sure if that will effect the pressure that will be given. Guess I will buy longer hose and the long wire as well. So frustrating I'm so close to getting all algae out and just focusing on chemicals. I don't have any filter on the vacuum bc all that's on the bottom is algae but I guess it's more than I'm estimating or stuff I can't see

Good News; yes you are SOOO close, Bad News; no you are not quite there and weather is supposed to improve. AND the world rests on YOUR shoulders to get it done, Kids asking every 5 min "can we go in yet", wife already invited 50 people over for pool party on 4th of July. It even gets worse, you think it is expensive now, just wait till you get this thing up and running, you spend Thurs and Friday shopping for everybody that "just drops by to say hello" (amazing they always have bathing suits with them), spend several hundred on food and drink, Then, have to clean house, Here comes everyone, run around entertaining, getting grill fired up and cooking for everyone. By the time Sunday night comes you are exhausted can't even think of cleaning up. You and wife just sitting exhausted with drink as the sun sets and just relax. Monday and Tue. clean up days, Wed. is hump day best day of week, getting all psyched up for weekend and shopping again on Thurs., cause nothing to eat or drink in house. Does this sound even remotely close to anyone else's experience.

Can you use hose to act like a drain snake, does not need to be connected and would go in first at the skimmer to see if it will bend without anything on the end and see if you can get to clog and dislodge it. if it will reach to hose bib from skimmer port can then even use water pressure if you can get to blockage.

hope above rant does not scare you off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.