Please Help-Green, Hazy Water and Zero Free Chlorine since 5/18/15 =-(

I assume you are referring to this chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart So take your "assumed" cya level based on your addition of CYA several days ago, and follow the chart for the shock level target of Free chlorine. Make sure your PH is good to go as well before you start SLAM

No. Just assume you are at your CYA target. But, the liquid cya should show on the test in a day or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you have a SWG--(You don't say in your signature) turn it off during SLAM Process.

I am new to this and don't understand how to read the chart. I have the FAS DPD test kit. Tested water a lot. Read the SLAM process a lot. How to I understand the chart? My CYA finally went up from 18 to 30. Does that mean the chart tells me to shock the pool 12 times? What does the 12 represent to do is my question. Thank you.

No that does not mean to shock 12 times. That means keep your FC at SLAM level of 12 using bleach until you pass all of the SLAM criteria. You need to test every couple of hours except for night when you are sleeping. Pump on 24/7. If you fined you are dropping below 12 a lot, bump it to 14. Use pool math calculator to determine how much bleach to add.

Thank you! I didn't see the page 3.
Added 27 gallons total of bleach.
CYA is 40 ppm
PH is 8.0 or higher
Cal Hardness 400 ppm
Total Alk: couldn't read b/c sample instead of turning green to red, turned green to yellow!
Can't check chlorine b/c there is too much in pool - test wasn't working.
Am I going in the right direction? How long till water clears?
Thanks for explaining the chart.
Jen

Thank you! I didn't see the page 3.
Added 27 gallons total of bleach.
CYA is 40 ppm
PH is 8.0 or higher
Cal Hardness 400 ppm
Total Alk: couldn't read b/c sample instead of turning green to red, turned green to yellow!
Can't check chlorine b/c there is too much in pool - test wasn't working.
Am I going in the right direction? How long till water clears?
Thanks for explaining the chart.
Jen

Your welcome. You need to SLAM level of 16 since your CYA is 40. No need to test anything except for FC and CC until your SLAM is done and your FC drops back below 10.

I got to 150 drops of 0871 to have red to turn clear - ran out of drops and sample is still very red/dark pink purple. So I can't complete that and I don't know if I kept adding drops if it would ever turn clear? So what does that tell me?
Thanks
Jen

I got to 150 drops of 0871 to have red to turn clear - ran out of drops and sample is still very red/dark pink purple. So I can't complete that and I don't know if I kept adding drops if it would ever turn clear? So what does that tell me?
Thanks
Jen

Oh my! Your FC is way to high! Don't add anymore bleach right now. I have I idea what it is, but do know it is at least 75 but because the water was still very full of pink/purple color it is much higher than that. You multiply the number of drops by .5 to know your FC. Order new 0871 today.
You did not use PoolMath to see how much bleach you needed to add.

You have to use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to know how much to add. Your gallons of water of pool in the top and then enter the current FC and target FC it will tell you how much bleach to add. Make sure you have it set to 8.25% bleach if you are using household bleach.

Please go read the SLAM process also.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Your pool is clearing up nicely.

Your FC is way high. It will take some time to come down to normal levels.

From now on do not do or add anything without checking with one of us. We will get you back on track.

Kim

=-( Ok, here is what I put in the pool math - I don't understand how to read it - what it is telling me to do. I did a screen shot but it won't let me publish it. Says exceeds quota? - Tried to make smaller - still didn't work. For PH - it says add 31.45% Baume. (?) muriatic acid.

Am I at a point of no return? Do I need to drain? Or call some sort of pool company to come out and handle this? I am over my head and going crazy with this. I have never encountered this before. I need this fixed and fast before something worse happens. ugh. sigh. thank you

So for now, I should just let it run 24/7 and test it every day? I can't believe this is happening...and I have no idea what the root cause was in the first place.

We have your covered. Breath in and let it out slowly.

Do NOT call the pool company. Just stick with us.

You are not at the point of no return.

Do not test anything for right now due to your FC being high.

During a SLAM you will not test anything other than FC. Your PH will test wrong with the FC over 10.

Run your pump running 24/7 for now.

Test your FC tomorrow afternoon (Monday afternoon). IF you get to 40 drops stop adding drops. No sense in wasting drops.

Let us know what happens. We will go from tomorrow's FC test.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't do anything with PH right now. Just let FC drop to around 20 and then proceed to follow the SLAM. Don't enter anything in pool math other than you current FC and your goal FC for now. Make sure near the bottom you put your pool info in and selected trouble free pool in the drop down box. You can do this on your own. No need to drain of call pool company. Just run filter 24/7 brush a few times a day and backwash as needed if you have a sand filter. If you have a cartridge filter clean it once a day if needed. Order your 0871 and then we will go from there. We are here to help you.

THANK YOU Kim. I will follow that and I sincerely appreciate your time and help. Really, a lot. I, like a lot of people, juggle full time job, family (very young girls too) and I honestly don't have the time to learn and do everything. It's a lot. Plus my mom recently passed away from her second bout of ovarian cancer so I no longer have my mom rock. You never know what is going on with people and everyone has something. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and your time and help. I'll write in tomorrow with the FC count. Thank you for giving me a clear exact plan. I need it spelled out for me. Jen

Thank you Lisa too - our emails crossed paths

Good morning Jen!

I just wanted to start your day off with a HUG!

Have a good day at work and do not worry about the pool. We will get is all sorted out.

Will you be able to pick up some more test stuff from your pool store today? It is no big deal if you cannot. Your FC (free chlorine) is way high. It will take a couple of days to come down.

Kim

Jen, I would wait a few days to test FC again since we know it is high based off of yesterday's testing. Hang in there. You have a lot on your plate, but Kim and I can get you through it. Just run the filter 24/7 and brush as often as you can for now.

Jen, I would do as Lisa suggests and wait until Wed. to test again. We do not want waste your test stuff and time. Do brush and run your pump 24/7.

Do you know how to do a backwash?

I am glad that you are still here. We will get you all sorted out.

Kim

Interesting about it coming out clear on the start of the backwash.

I am going to back up a couple of steps. I want to make sure I know what you know how to do.

Have you taken your filter apart and looked at the sand?

When you backwash do you follow up with a rinse?

Thanks for humoring me. I just like to check and not assume anything.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.