TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Shares of spa and pool supplies retailer Leslie’s Inc. dropped more than 18% in the extended session Thursday after the company’s preliminary quarterly results were below Wall Street expectations and led to a lowered outlook for the year. Leslie’s also announced that its chief financial officer is stepping down.

I have a love/hate relationship with Leslie's. I hate their prices and their potions, but I love that they are very close to me and carry a lot of stuff I don't have to wait to have delivered.

MSN article.

I have only been in one once & I had to dig & find my own parts. I wouldn’t miss them.
There are several mom & pop shops much closer to me (still 20 minutes away) that I prefer to throw my cash at. I think they’re just more prevalent in other regions.

I have only been in one once & I had to dig & find my own parts. I wouldn’t miss them.
There are several mom & pop shops much closer to me (still 20 minutes away) that I prefer to throw my cash at. I think they’re just more prevalent in other regions.
Our experiences differ and you are drawing a conclusion from one visit.

I walk into my local Leslie's and they ask me what I need. I tell them and they fetch it for me and carry it out to my car if it's heavy or unwieldy. The only times I have to search is when I'm looking for pool toys and such.

No moms & pops near me, alas.

Last edited:
Reactions: jark87 and Newdude
We used to have a Mom and Pops, but they got divorced and the customers had to choose who they were going to go with.

I go to Mom on even days and Pops on odd days.

I listen to each tell me how the other is undercutting them.

We're somewhat rural and only have little guys. The first time I was far enough away by the nearest Leslie's and happened to need something I was excited to check it out.

The counter girls looked 12 and I was mortified at the grown rear dudes taking advice from them.

Even with myself on the poolstore turnip truck at the time, it was bad.

Our experiences differ and you are drawing a conclusion from one visit.

I walk into my local Leslie's and they ask me what I need. I tell them and they fetch it for me and carry it out to my car if it's heavy or unwieldy. The only times I have to search is when I'm looking for pool toys and such.

No moms & pops near me, alas.
There’s only two anywhere near me (50mile radius) & I have unfortunately heard similar experiences to mine.
glad yours doesn’t totally suck lol. I have looked up several things online that I thought I might swing by & get while I was in town but they never have anything I am looking for in stock (according to the internet) & they never answer the phone to confirm or deny so I have quit even looking there.
Thankfully the mom & pop shop I get my liquid gold from is helpful & cordial like you described loading my stuff up etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here in Las Vegas, it’s like Leslie’s are on every other corner. The only mom & pop pool store is on the other side of town, 30 minute drive one way. Leslie’s 12.5% chlorine is $17.99 for a 2-pack. Walmart sells 10% 2-packs for $10.54. Both stores are in the same shopping center. I am no math wizard but Walmart is still a better deal. Doesn’t matter, though, because we have a swg.

If I go "into town" about 20 minutes away, we have Leslies and about 5 other pool stores within a 10 mile radius. I have a local place like 10 minutes away which is who the prior owner had do all the pool work back in 2018 so it's nice they have records of the pool. I've bought one thing from Leslie's and that was liquid CYA. The local place is nice for parts in a hurry like a new backwash hose...

Reactions: Mdragger88
In recent months, Leslie’s have acquired 2 other independent pool stores in my area. In about a 5 mile radius from my home I can pick any of 5 Leslie stores. There is also 2 Pinch A Penny stores in that same radius.

I used to shop Leslie's, they used to be reasonably priced for Cal Hypo and Trichlor. They also used to sell Taylor reagents maybe they still do. They also used to do water drop testing. They have become expensive but when I look for liquid chlorine at Leslie's on line nothing comes up.

I have 2 around me, 1 almost around the block. I'm always amazed at how strong the chlorine smell is whenever I walked in there, wonder what damage the workers are doing to their lungs/body "living" in that all day long!

My Leslie’s is 5 minutes away.
I buy three things consistently from there:

1) Their liquid CYA.
2) Their salt.
3) Muriatic Acid.

Just about everything else I now get off Amazon.

Reactions: jark87
Rocket,

I guess I could go in and use their bathroom... But that is about as far as I'm willing to go... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I was in their bathroom once. One bottle of LC I bought had a loose cap and it leaked. I used their bathroom to wash my hands off.

You don't want to go there. Pretty gross, as in no one ever appears to clean it.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.