It's go time.... PLASTER DAY!!!

Ask the PB and the plasterer how much CaCl he is going to add to the plaster mix, as they like to add too much to speed up curing. This can result in mottling/blotching of the color finish (and, of course, when this happens, they blame pool chemistry...... ie YOU)! It never hurts to let them know that you've done your homework on something as critical as this.

Reactions: pewl and galowbraw
Thank you- I have been reading about that and not using organic pigments to color the plaster. In fact, I don't think they are supposed to use any CACl with colored plaster, unless unavoidable- then to use it well after the pigment is thoroughly mixed in.
I guess I need to be assertive and mention all of this to PB. Probably more important than worrying about blue vs gray plaster haha.

Delayed. :(
Gives me time to ask about a robot. I know our PB has some kind of vacuum written into our bid, but I'm thinking about getting my own & going for the Dolphin S200. When would it be ok to use that in a new plaster startup?

Last edited:
30 days after the plaster job. You can and SHOULD use a manual vacuum during this time. They sell butterfly heads that have brushes on the bottom. I think every pool should have a manual vacuum for spot cleans and such.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:party: It is happening!! Oh happy day!!!!

Now remember that when they start adding the water do NOT stop it!! Do not add to the spa first unless you are 100% sure you can be there to move the hose out as you do NOT want the water running down the brand new plaster!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: pewl
Sock on end for sure! I would do the pool first unless you KNOW there is NO way it will over flow into the unfilled pool. As many hose as you have or can borrow!! The faster the better but if it is slow just don't let it stop!

Finished filling the pool this morning. Startup guy came today. Said he put in a bottle of StartupTec (I didn't see), But I saw him put a mound of loose CYA in the skimmer basket (cringing because I've read here that that's a no-no), and brush walls- not sure what else. The plaster looked fabulous this morning, and now a few hours after the startup guy was here there is all this white around the perimeter at the bottom and on the surfaces. I'm assuming it's just settles plaster dust and making an effort not to be worried about it.
IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.