Awells22

Oct 19, 2021
Baton Rouge, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool is about a year old now and it has several spots that are discolored. I had the water tested and it was way low in calcium and ph was off also. I was using home test strips and according to the local pool store those are unreliable. I got the pool balanced but the discoloration remains. Any idea what I am dealing with and how to remedy?? Pics are attached. Thanks32C7808B-88B5-44E1-86D3-AC78825ABB1C.jpeg385BF4B4-9643-472B-9DDC-343F4A9A2A10.jpeg9228ED51-76B1-4BA6-9DA0-0C66AEDEAB44.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The are several factors that could influence plaster color and reliability (materials, techniques applied, water chemistry, etc), especially during the first 30 days while it it curing. Now that your plaster is one year old, there probably isn't much that can be done to hide or blend the color changes other than perhaps an acid wash. An acid wash "might" help to blend the two tones together better, but an acid wash is also a bit aggressive to the plaster and can shorten its life a little. No doubt test strips are worthless, but pool store testing isn't much better. We always encourage owners to test their own water using either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. It's easy and very reliable. Please be sure to update your signature too. If you are on a well, include to also.

In case I missed something, I'll tag @onBalance for his expert opinion on your plaster discoloration. Thanks for posting.

Hey Awells and Welcome !!!
I was using home test strips and according to the local pool store those are unreliable
That’s the pot calling the kettle black right there. Pool stores are unreliable-er as the test strips have no overpriced Chemicals to sell you.

Nobody will care for your investment like you will. Take control with a reliable test kit. The tf-100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor k2006c are a fraction of the cost of *one* trip to the pool store and will save you dozens of more trips to the store. It will pay for itself more times than you can count.

While you hang tight for some answers to your questions, Start your journey here and we will gladly help fill in any blanks. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Please provide what the water test results were from the pool store.
Do you have white pool plaster or is it a light blue color? Is it quartz, or not?
Is the discoloration the "whiter" discoloration than the rest of the pool, or something else?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.