Plaster condition and algae

May 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, so my water is sparkling clear at all times, but once warmer weather hits (Texas, haha), I start getting that nasty light algae on the walls of the pool. It really doesn't matter on chlorine levels, I can keep it near 10ppm and it still will start when it drops below 4ppm. My ph is fine. My question is I don't believe my pool is of the best plaster quality as the finish is rapidly changing color, calcium spotting, and just seems to be rougher, does a deteriorating plaster finish cause algae to dig it's roots deeper in the pores and harder to control? Pool is appx 8 years old. I did not build the pool. I use liquid chlorine, I use shock, I occasionally add tabs to the feeder so levels don't drop, but tabs of course will raise CYA and we have that ideal at 50.

Post a complete set of test results from your K-2006:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

I use liquid chlorine, I use shock, I occasionally add tabs to the feeder so levels don't drop,

Saying that indicates you are not properly managing your FC level. If you do daily testing and follow the FC/CYA Levels in the recommended FC range for your CYA level using tabs or shock should not be necessary.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you have algae and need to follow the SLAM Process.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.