Plaster Color Shortage?

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone,

I had a question for the group. Our PB is saying there is a plaster shortage related to the coloring. They are saying not the actual base material but the coloring. I was also told by my PB they ordered it in Feb when I confirmed and it is still not here. Anyone else hear this or know anything about it? I totally understand some delays in stuff due to COVID, but I am starting to doubt this was actually ordered in Feb which now causes a delay. Thanks!

Since Covid there has been a huge surge in pool construction leading to a shortage of materials, so I guess that is possible. Unfortunately you can't prove whether or not it was ordered back in February. All that matters is that it is not here now.
Yes, you are very right on both counts. It is very frustrating to think we planned ahead to avoid these types of situations knowing the COVID landscape only to have it bite us and not really understand why. Sure, it is possible but I would also think that if it really was ordered in Feb and there was a delay that we would have heard from out PB a long time about this delay. Just curious if others have heard of the color plaster delay...

My PB is having issues with his plaster company being able to get certain parts of the plaster. I went from getting stonescapes mini pebble, now it is supposed to be a custom blend. With added glass beads so I'm not as irritated about the change. But by the time our tile and concrete is done, I'm hoping nothing changes with that. They were unable to get our tile as well. Was supposed to be NPT Onyx Light Blue. Hardly anything was available last week when they ordered so we settled for NPT North Ocean Cobalt :(

I was told by NPT in early May there will be storages with the white pebbles, and travertine. I hope my mini pebble is not on back order, I haven't heard anything from my PB yet about that.

Hello … I am having to re-do my plaster as it failed after 2 years :( so sad. I was going with the mini pebble .. more of the white colors but I am being told there is a white pebble shortage and they may use beige / tan colors ?? That is not what I am wanting . Has anyone heard about the shortage ? And will it end ?
Thank you in advance !

White pebble has been out of stock for many months in alot of markets. The brand doesn't seem to matter. Gold and black are readily available still.
Thank you for your reply. Do you think it will be back in the market in the new future ?? I am having to re-do my pool but I am not in the middle of construction like many people here. So… I can wait a bit if needed.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think it will be back in the market in the new future ?? I am having to re-do my pool but I am not in the middle of construction like many people here. So… I can wait a bit if needed.
When I went to the tile supply house (Also the guys who sell the plaster) I was told that they have not had a delivery of some of their plaster in a few weeks/ months.

They only had standard white plaster in their warehouse and everything they had was "by order only" so likely they can get some of the colors but will take time, we ended up with a plaster completely different that what I wanted (wanted a medium blue, but the pool has a "greenish" blue)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have plenty of company. My next door neighbor's new pool was dug in mid January. It has been a gunite-walled hole for about three months now. More than average rainfall has had water in it constantly. Two weeks ago they had it pumped out, as it had become a health hazard, but it's rained several times since then. I don't talk with them about it, as it must be painful to start a pool early in the year so you'll have it for the whole season (nominally that's late April through October here...longer with a heater or thick skinned swimmers), and in mid July you still just have a mess in your backyard.

In spite of a multitude of "explanations," I suspect that most of all shortages are symptoms of federal bonus unemployment. That ends--finally--September 6, 2021. After that, some of the unskilled labor that has been making more on unemployment than they did working, may decide to go back to work.

P.S. Apologies to anyone here who is legitimately unemployed. I've been there.

Reactions: Nikilyn
I think a lot of what we are still seeing is due to the early days of the pandemic shut-down when nobody was working. I doubt pool plaster manufacturing was considered an essential business and I don't know when they were able to go back into production, or how much manufacturing of the components for plaster was affected by the shut-down. Over the course of the last year stockpiled materials have been depleted and it will take a while for manufacturing to catch up to demand, and demand is still extraordinarily high.

I do not see an end to the shortage anytime soon. We are advising customers to wait until the end of the year or be flexible with your pool choices. The big distributor in the country has for the most part has stopped transferring product between stores. The local markets are keeping all of their inventory, so I can see on the app that there are branches with products. They just are refusing to transfer them, a few are selling it out of their market but then we are stuck with shipping from the branch location to our office.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.