Plaster and acid wash today-start up help!!

linzvirgo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2016
So VA
Hi! Our plasterer surprised us last night with a call that he was coming today and not next week. He is going to do an acid wash this evening and not tomorrow. He told my husband not to add any MA and that the kids could swim over the weekend if they wanted before we started with any needed acid b/c of the acid wash. Is this ok? Is the plaster hard enough to not be damaged if they just play a little? I think he knows that we feel as though we have been left on the back burner over the last month so he is trying to make my husband happy. HELP!!

The plaster start up page needs to be redone due to the fact the no swim for 30 days DEPENDS on the type of start up done.

The start up used on yours is VERY safe to swim in afterwards. I will try to tell you why. The acid was put on the walls then the walls were rinsed off. In doing so the acid was diluted with the water. Then they clean that was up and out. After that the pool is filled with fresh water. LOTS of water so any left over acid is REALLY diluted now. At this point it is not different than letting your kids play in a kiddie pool right after it fills!

I would get all the levels balanced then throw the kids in! LOL

I hope this helps.

Kim:kim:

You can retest after dosing about 15 mins after your last dose. That will allow you to really push it down. I would turn the pump on high and brush to help it mix up good so you can get the pH into readable numbers. It might be higher than you think.

Kim:kim:

Ok- I am going to test it again right now. Should I worry about raising the CH or worry about the pH first? We have added stabilizer, sequestrant, and the MA all today throughout the morning and will put the chlorine in next. Don't want to overload with chemicals if that is not good for the pool or plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UGHHH- so the pH was staying very dark pink after adding 30 ozs of MA twice an hour apart. I added another 30 oz over the next hour and now my pH is reading 6.8! I just tested TA and it is at 20. Time for baking soda? Or will the waterfall, brushing and new plaster take care of it? Should I keep the kids out?

Yes, add enough baking soda to raise TA to 60.

It is ok to swim when
pH is between 7.2 and 7.8
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
The water is clear.

We have the pH balanced at 7.4 using MA. Chlorine is 0.5. We have put 2 tricolor pucks in the skimmers and CYA in a sock in both skimmers. I still can not get the CYA test the register but it hasn't been 24 hours since adding it. Should I bring the chlorine up quicker using bleach? Is that ok for new plaster?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.