Planting on top of grotto

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Who has plants growing on top of their grotto? We are building fake rock and I might want some sort of greenery on top or maybe the sides. I live in the desert and the heat is brutal and I'm not sure what my options are. We haven't built the grotto yet but it's going to be 10 feet tall and 35 feet long by 14 feet wide. It's a lot of rock. Otherwise maybe I'll just keep it all rock and make it look like Valley of Fire state park. Hmm not sure what to do.

Go fake! Depending on the formation, plants up there might be a problem. I'm envisioning dirt and muddy water and fertilizers somehow washing or blowing into your pool. You'd have to carefully plan for drainage etc. And, yah, I expect the heat reflecting off the rock would limit your plant selection. How would you maintain a mini garden up there? They make some incredible fake plants now-a-days. That might work.

What are your tastes? I like organic stuff and wouldn't fill my yard with all that kitschie stuff that many like around their pool, but I admit they do add visual interest. What about some cool metal sculptures? Flags? A fountain? Totems? Garden lights? Wind chimes or ornaments? Pink flamingos?!? (I dare ya!!)

Google "yard decorations" for some ideas...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.