Plant/tree ideas for Northern States?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
**Michigan**

Hi everyone,

We were able to get our pool installed last spring and now we have turned our attention to our landscaping. Hoping to get some plant ideas or pictures of what some of my northern Midwest US friends use to decorate their pool surroundings. My wife is not a fan of anything pine unfortunately so we are rather limited in our search. Anyone have any luck with small trees? shrubs? anything cool really to add some color to our area. Right now in Michigan our enclosed area with our covered pool looks like a gray parking lot. The good news is we are a blank canvas

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200503_114705.jpg
    20200503_114705.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 27
What's the sun coverage there? And what zone are you? I LOVE gardening and perennials. I'm thinking you are zone 3 maybe? Zones : Monrovia

As a starting point, try this website. I'd start broad (choose all blooming seasons, many varieties, etc) and then jot down names of things that catch your eye. Then look locally for growers. Annabelle and Limelight Hydrangeas are both hardy and get nice and bushy and provide beautiful flower heads. Spireas are another nice choice. Then you can fill in with various other perennials in different bloom seasons.

Reactions: martinezj1120
What's the sun coverage there? And what zone are you? I LOVE gardening and perennials. I'm thinking you are zone 3 maybe? Zones : Monrovia

As a starting point, try this website. I'd start broad (choose all blooming seasons, many varieties, etc) and then jot down names of things that catch your eye. Then look locally for growers. Annabelle and Limelight Hydrangeas are both hardy and get nice and bushy and provide beautiful flower heads. Spireas are another nice choice. Then you can fill in with various other perennials in different bloom seasons.

Thank you! I think I am in Zone 5B and get almost all sun.

Oh nice - same zone as me. Lots of options!

Let me come back to this when I have a few min. Please remind me if I don't reply by tomorrow!

Ok, here's an overview. I still have a ton of room and a ton of plants to get in the ground. LOL. Ninebark and Weigela are two other shrubs that get get a decent size and have the ability to be hacked back (if you need to).

Landscape.JPG

Reactions: martinezj1120
Ok, here's an overview. I still have a ton of room and a ton of plants to get in the ground. LOL. Ninebark and Weigela are two other shrubs that get to a decent size and have the ability to be hacked back (if you need to).
Your pool area looks really nice. FYI: the Goldflame Spireas will get 4-5 ft wide if you don't trim them back.
Also, you could consider potted plants on the concrete deck or the rock area around the back of the pool by the fence. We added tropical plants - Majestic Palm and Bird of Paradise to sit on the patio. We do have to bring them in for the winter and that is tricky. I don't have any good pics of the set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.