Plant Resistant to Salt

Sollace

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2020
Bryan TX
I give up on trying to find a thread on salt resistant plants. .. So if this thread can be cut and pasted elsewhere, feel free.

I found Sea Green Junipers at Lowe's about 2 weeks ago (Before the big freeze in TX) I bought seven of them to plant around the pool.
They are salt resistant, deer, and drought, really a lot of positives.
Juniperus chinensis 'Sea Green'
Common Name(s): Sea Green Juniper

My wife is in charge of planting around the pool but she has never had a problem with any plants and the pool salt. Salty pool water hardly gets on any plants and is washed away with rain. Oh, getting rain may make the difference between our areas.

Yeah I don't think it'll be a problem for us, too. Re: salt water and landscaping around the pool. Now if we still had young kids that constantly jump in the pool and getting the surround soaked, I'd be thinking differently!

Anyway, for those that are doing their green thumb thing this spring and are replacing winter frozen plants, this is an option. . . .

I think salt resistant plants are more an issue for those that live near the ocean. Ocean salt water has 30,000 ppm of salt verus our salt pools that have around 3,000 ppm of salt. One tenth of the ocean.

Reactions: jark87
Prior to installing the chiller, I tried those PVC misters to cool the pool down. Wind would blow the spray onto surrounding landscaping and even the trunk of a red oak tree, all of which suffered damage. I wasn’t even aware that the spray was what was causing the damage, but once I installed the chiller, everything recovered. But I don’t think it was the salt content, but the chlorine content that hurt the plants.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.