Planning to install a glacier chiller later

Tjs011

Bronze Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
Houston, TX
We will be starting our project soon and I think it’s possible that we will want to add a chiller in the next several years. Being in the Houston area, I want to still be able to enjoy my pool during the hottest days of summer... Is that a fairly easy retrofit? What should I do now during the build to make things easier if we decide to go that route? We are planning on an 8’ equipment pad, so we should have plenty of room.. any suggestions?

Our pool water was too warm during the peak heat of the first summer we had it. The next sumner we strategically put up a couple shade triangle nets the next season when the water was still cool and it did the trick. A side benefit was relaxing in the filtered light while floating on the raft with a cold drink. We pull the tarps down and into storage to extend our swim season in the late summer.

You mean this specific units?

GPC-23 AND 25 MODELS REQUIRE 2 X 2 PAD GPC-210 REQUIRES 3 X 3 PAD. This unit can take up a third of your planed 8' pad. The manual also says the "cooler must be installed at least 18 inches away from buildings, walls, or fences made from material that could degrade from water exposure. Our coolers are open systems that may experience some water splatter or misting.

Sufficient supply clean air and ventilation around and above the unit. A minimum of a 5 foot clearance above the unit is necessary to avoid condensation on the structure above."

Glacier Pool Cooler up to 30,000 Gal - GPC210 - INYOPools.com has the Installation Manual at http://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/newer-glacier-pool-chiller-manual.pdf I suggest you read it or give it to your Pool Builder. In addition to the space on the equipment pad you will need a 120V AC 20 AMP GFCI CB connected to a timer or automation to control the chiller.

The manual shows two different ways of plumbing the chiller for existing pools or new pools. The existing pool plumbing T's into the pool suction line BEFORE the pump. Enough pipe needs to be left between where the suction line comes out of the ground and the pump connection to connect in a T fitting. Often the plumber will cut the suction pipe close to the ground and have a short run into the pump.

The new pool plumbing flows the water very differently with a 2" inch pipe dedicated line back to the pool. (This must be a designated line to the bottom center of the pool ). NOT ON THE SIDE WALLS.

So for the Glacier Pool Coolers you need to plan out the location of the unit on your pad and how the connections will be made to your plumbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tjs011
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.