Planning SWCG installation

spd500

Jul 20, 2020
Houston, TX
We are early in the construction of a new pool and have decided that we want Saltwater for sure, and that leads to more questions for us.

1. My wife really wants travertine coping, will that be ok?
2. We are doing a stacked travertine waterfall from the hot tub into the pool, will that be ok?
3. I see lots of posts saying to get at least 2x your pool size capacity, I was thinking I would just get the largest made and have been told that should be good. Any one have any reason not to?
4. I am looking at the CircuPool RJ-60 Plus Salt Chlorine Generator because of it's size, is this a good system.
5. If not the one above what is the best system to consider?
6. Current design is for the PB to install a chlorine dispenser, should I leave that?
7. Should I have the PB install it or just do it myself after pool completion? (I am fairly mechanically inclined)

I am sure there will be other questions that I run into along the way, but this is the short list. Thanks Everyone

-Are you planning any kind of automation.? I think that may dictate which brand of SWG you get.
-How big is your pool going to be.. are far enough into the design process to have that number yet?
-I assume the chlorine dispenser is a tab feeder? There is no point in having one if you get an SWG.. if you have to manually chlorinate you are going to use liquid CL anyway.
-Once you decide which SWG and if the PB won't install it you can get a blank, its just a tube with the unions that he can install in its place as a stub for the SWG cell. Then you can add it later.

Here is our build , main pool area will be 29' x 17' and we are going from 3'6" to a 6" deep end. I think that will put me in the range of 15K gallons. I am looking at the SWCG rated for 60K because it is only $100 more than the 45K and I am hoping that when we do get rain like we are expecting this weekend (tropical storm) I can raise the chlorine much higher and hopefully avoid adding chlorine or shock to the pool.

We are not as of yet planning any type of automation, just a no frills timer setup. It seems like all of the automation setups are overpriced gimmicks to me, but I also have no smart home devices either.

The chlorine dispenser would be the one that you put the tablets into and adjust the flow to match your needs, nothing fancy.

The PB would install the system for me if I asked, I am just wondering if I will come out money ahead to just tackle that part myself instead of having his equipment markup and added labor.

That would be up to your PB and you as to whether it would be money ahead... usually its not that big of a deal to have the PB wire it in while they are doing everything else. Some PB have an aversion to SWGs and say they will invalidate your warranty.. that's rubbish, so for those new builds its easier for the owner to have the plumbing stubbed for a SWG and have it installed afterward. but that doesn't seem to be your case.

If you have no plans for automation, then Yeah.. get the biggest one you can get and you'll be fine. It should last longer, and you can run it at a lower level.

There is really no reason for a chlorine dispenser with a SWG.. they are redundant. Put the money from the dispenser toward your SWG,

An SWG will easily be able to adjust for just about all changes in your pool environment. But when it rains in the pool that extra water has to go somewhere. It usually gets drained off and the resulting pool water will be diluted. So you will have to bump your CYA and Salt to compensate. If its hot the water evaporates and the salt stays in solution so you don't have to add anything but water. Hope that makes sense.

that RJ60 plus is a beast and will work great for you... it has all the bells and whistles... I tend to go for the no nonsense SJ model as there is less to go wrong, one button to turn on and an up and down button to change from 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%... But the RJ can get a much better mix like 36%... just letting you know there are options out there :)

that RJ60 plus is a beast and will work great for you... it has all the bells and whistles... I tend to go for the no nonsense SJ model as there is less to go wrong, one button to turn on and an up and down button to change from 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%... But the RJ can get a much better mix like 36%... just letting you know there are options out there :)

Thank you, but I was thinking that the lack of a flow sensor would limit the system, is that not the case? Is it better to have the finer tuning ability, or not really needed?

Thank you, but I was thinking that the lack of a flow sensor would limit the system, is that not the case? Is it better to have the finer tuning ability, or not really needed?
Not sure what you mean by a lack of a flow sensors. All SWCGs I've seen have a flow sensor.
With an oversized unit you can achieve pretty much any percentage you want by varying your pump run time in addition to the percent. That said, I find it much easier to tweak my RJ60+ up/down 5% (36% not possible) than constantly adjust my pump run time.
You really shouldn't need to spend $$ on an inline chlorinator. It will also take up room on your pad, plus, if you have a heater, they may put in a backflow preventer valve which will just add more flow restriction.
I use tabs from time to time to increase my CYA and decrease my pH (since I have them left over), but there are probably cheaper ways to do those things if I didn't have a bucket of otherwise unusable chemicals. I just use a little float that I leave in the pool for them to dissolve.

Not sure what you mean by a lack of a flow sensors. All SWCGs I've seen have a flow sensor.
I was going by the comparison chart at this site that says the other models don't have a flow sensor. I was thinking that the other models would just sense power sent to the pump to determine run time without the need for a flow sensor, but if the pump failed to run the salt system could have problems running with no flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just talked to the PB and he said it would be $2300 to upgrade to the saltwater system, I asked what system that would be and he said it was Hayward Aquarite 25,000 gallon system. I am guessing it is this one? Either way seems like he is way over charging, so I will likely just install it myself when the pool is finished.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.