Planning for SWG Install: should I wire for continuous power?

SWATC

Jan 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
I just purchased the RJ60+, I have a VS pump. I asked CircuPool rep at discountsaltpools and they advised me the correct way to install was to wire SWCG direct for continuous power and rely on the flow switch. Has anyone had any issues with their CircuPool SWCG doing installing like this?

Flow switch’s have been known to fail. Flow switch should be your backup safety device, not your primary.

Wire your SWG to a timer or run your VS pump 24/7 at low speed and wire the SWG to the pump power line.

It's not difficult if you're comfortable working in a service or sub panel but unless you're plan is to give it its own circuit/breaker I'd tie it in at a junction box outside the panel. I also believe doubling up branch circuits on one breaker (inside the panel) is not code (certainly not SOP) but then so is running most anything else on a circuit with a motor, yet it's done.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to TFP!

Depending on the timer you use, the timer typically needs to go in a box (junction box). What timer are you using?
TFP does not have install guides. You can probably find some threads on the forum where other members described how they did the install.
Be cautious though, you should be knowledgeable of the electric codes in your area. If not, it may be better to have the timer professionally installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If there's space for another breaker then ther3s no reason not to add it assuming the panel location lends itself to safely feeding in a new wire. Often though, it's easier to tie in elsewhere to an existing circuit with enough remaining capacity. My statement was out of an abundance of caution, not knowing anyone's level of expertise, not to add it to another breaker in the box or to the branch circuit that runs your pump.

I'm with ajw22 on this. Interestly enough, I just opened the manual for my CircuPool SWG and it has a diagram suggesting it be added to the load side of your pool pump timer. This is not something I would ever do or recommend and while I'm sure there are electricians who would install it this way I am curious as to whether it would get through inspection.

I am making a similar addition since the pool builder wire the SWCG directly. However I am getting an Intermatic 1100 series electronic timer with battery backup. My pump control also has battery backup. That way in case of power interruption, they will both keep correct time and not get out of phase.

I trust the old mechanical timers over the electronic ones. I had two on my previous pool, and one on the current one. In twenty five years, with two pools and three separate timers, I have had to replace one clock motor. Although I have surge protection, I’m still a bit concerned about electronic pool controls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.