Planning for next summer on where to put 16' AGP - Looking for suggestions

mosabi

Aug 6, 2018
West Fargo, ND
Hello, Great forum with a ton of info!

We are most likely getting a 16' AGP next summer and right now I am visualizing where to put it in our yard, if any of you have good ideas please let me know. Regardless of where it goes I'll need to level a spot since we have a slight slope from our house to the property line. I have embedded a picture of our yard from google maps.

Key:
Orange circle - Trampoline currently there.
Green circles - small apple trees which will get bigger over the years to come.
Large gray slab - This will be roughly what our patio will look like but nothing is currently here and wont be for a couple more years at least.

I am open to suggestions. I am thinking in the NW corner of the lot away from the property line about 5 feet on each corner.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :wave: Well, lots of opinions I'm sure, but I'll toss these thoughts out for consideration even though some may not apply if you place the pool further away at the NW corner:
- Power source? You'll need either 110V or 220V depending on the pump you chose, so make sure you have access or can get it to the pool equipment pad
- Do you get more shade on that left side (orange)? That may be a consideration as well
- If you plan on keeping the trees, be aware the leaves can be a pain
- Noise …. Pools are fun but can get rowdy with adults or simply noisy with the kids, so think about adjoining rooms to the house if you chose a closer location
- Equipment pads can sometimes be a little noisy as well due to the pump humming. Maybe not at first with a new pump, but over time possibly. If you get a 2 speed it should be extremely quiet on low, but just be aware of that as well if you are closer to the house.
- With unlevel ground, remember to dig "down" to make it level. Never try to build "up" as it's never as stable later.

With all that said, I think the NW corner is your best option as well assuming you can get power out there okay.

Thank you Pat for the kind response. The back yard is north facing and where the trampoline is currently it doesn't get early morning sun until about 9. If I put it in the NW corner it would get sun most of the day. Could I trench an extension cord out there? I have a plug-in on the NW corner of the house I could run it to. I plan on having a sand filter and saltwater chlorinator. No idea what side of the pool I'd put that on. Maybe east? As for the trees, they are staying and wouldn't cause problems if the pool is in the NW corner. Good call on leveling the ground, I was wondering about either adding dirt or removing it to make it level, that answers that. :)

We have an obligation to err on the side of safety, so we would not recommend trenching an extension cord across the yard. It would be best to have an electrician install an outlet at the pump pad.

If the wind primarily blows west to east, as it does across most of the US, then it is favored to put the skimmer on the far east side of the pool only because the wind will probably blow surface debris ever so slowly to the east side. We're not talking much wind assistance, but I've read this before and it makes sense and as someone else said, might as well try to help out the filter/skimmer to clean as much as possible as easy as possible..

And yes, run a proper "to code" electrical outlet from the house out to the pool, securely mounted, using a GFI circuit breaker, etc etc. I grew up in the 80's with an extension cord because I think it was just the thing to do back then. But now, there's the building/electrical code and the proper way to do things for a good reason. After all, it is mixing water with electricity. Definitely not a time to take a shortcut.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also - make sure you are positioned in such a way that you are off of the property line to whatever your township rules say AND leave yourself enough room to make at least one easy pass with the lawn mower or tractor. By looking at your image, my very stereo-typical assumption, which could be wrong, is you have a tractor with a 60" deck. Or else kudos to you for mowing with a 21" push mower. Clearly you'd want to be able to have your fence, then probably a path of grass, then the pool.. 10 or 15' away. Make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.