Planning as much as possible for pool opening

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hey all - I reordered a complete refill of my T-100 so I have all the fresh chemistry.

We have our pool opening schedule for early next week. Kit is ready to go. Unfortunately, we had to order a new salt cell and it will be at least 2-3 weeks before it arrives. So, looks like I’ll be using only LC for the first several weeks until I have that new cell installed.

As I recall last year, the pool company that opens the pool also dumps some FC in as part of their “opening process”. I’m thinking about have them do everything except dump any chemicals. I plan on telling them to just leave the included FC unopened for me to use later and then immediately do testing with the T100 post the results here, and just confirm my plan for SLAM and then begin SLAM accordingly. Does that sound good?

Why do you think you need to SLAM Process? What does the water look like?

I just tell my Pool Company not to add chemicals and they don't charge me for it.

Definitely. Better to let them do the manual labor part and you do the chemistry. I suggest someone is there to inform the crew doing it. They will be on auto pilot and adding chemicals is part of that.

Thanks. No idea as the cover is still on. I imagine it will require a SLAM. Last year, before discovering this site, I got a horrible case of
Mustard Algae - I hope never again!

I know I am going to add cya.

I anticipate not having the salt cell for a few weeks won’t make a big issue? Will just add it later on and add salt.

I know I am going to add cya.

Test your CYA first. Don't raise your CYA above 30 until you know you don’t need to SLAM Process and you have your SWG cell installed. Then raise your CYA to 70.

I anticipate not having the salt cell for a few weeks won’t make a big issue? Will just add it later on and add salt.

Just check and add CL daily until you get your cell installed. With a CYA of 30 keep your FC around 5.

Last edited:
Interesting. So keep the cya at 30 for 2-3 weeks (even after SLAM complete) until the SWG installed? I know to keep the cya low during the SLAM, just curious on why the recommendation to keep the cya low post SLAM until the SWG is installed? thank you!

Look at the FC/CYA Levels for non-SWCG pools. At a 70 CYA. Your target FC is 8-10 ppm. That can disrupt your pH testing.

Until you can run your SWCG, keep the CYA at 50 ppm or lower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM continues - water is slowly clearing. Algae appears normal - no noticeable solids anymore. Brushing with the pool results in a fine, green dust. But there’s still quite a bit of it :).

I was holding off on throwing the robot in...it would help stir things up, but perhaps not yet... too much algae right now (although seems like fine particles). I can’t see the deep end (greenest part), so there could be some solids down there but I doubt it as It was very clean when I closed it.

Hold off sticking the robot in?

Attachments

• 73425CD7-DA25-4337-B981-34CD8D7B559E.jpeg
    73425CD7-DA25-4337-B981-34CD8D7B559E.jpeg
    621.9 KB · Views: 29
I would suggest holding off on using the robot. But brushing to get the algae on bottom up into the chlorinated water is a good thing.

I would suggest holding off on using the robot. But brushing to get the algae on bottom up into the chlorinated water is a good thing.

SLAM continues. day 6. Definite improvement on overall conditions. Only thing that still puzzles me a bit is that I’ve only had to backwash once (day 3). Gauge was reading resting psi until day 3 afternoon when all of a sudden I checked it and it was 10-15% stage and returns were moving slow. Backwashed no problem - resting psi returned, and returns went normal, and there been no psi or return flow change the last 3 days.

Is that normal - for 6 days into SLAM (based on my original conditions) to only have backwashed once?

Attachments

• 25BA7F4D-D2F5-4E05-BCA4-36E776A6C3B1.jpeg
    25BA7F4D-D2F5-4E05-BCA4-36E776A6C3B1.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 21
SLAM has been going ... though I feel last 2 days have been a bit stagnant. The pool went from green to blue and most (if not all algae is gone). However, pool remains cloudy and the cloudiness level has really been the same last 2 days. I have been relentless on keeping the FC in check for the SLAM and the last 3 nights or so I’ve had zero FC loss overnight and 1 CC.

I know sand filters take awhile so Is this just Pool Owner Patience?

Attachments

• 3CCE1D0D-B348-48DE-9F40-B067EAFB5E15.jpeg
    3CCE1D0D-B348-48DE-9F40-B067EAFB5E15.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Need to backwash can vary. Sand filters aren’t the best at grabbing algae so backwashing intervals can vary for sure.

Yes, the need for POP will increase during this stage when little visible changes are occurring.

After another week if its still cloudy, I’d consider adding some DE to your filter per these instructions. Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool
But follow them very closely. Pressure can rise quickly.

Need to backwash can vary. Sand filters aren’t the best at grabbing algae so backwashing intervals can vary for sure.

Yes, the need for POP will increase during this stage when little visible changes are occurring.

After another week if its still cloudy, I’d consider adding some DE to your filter per these instructions. Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool
But follow them very closely. Pressure can rise quickly.

Day 10 of SLAM. Did aggressive DE treatment all day today. About 2-3 hours after each SE treatment I reached my 25% psi increase and I backwashed.

Robot running all day.

Just still, seems...cloudy...

Attachments

• 6AB0BF97-8426-4157-8D22-996D6156F093.jpeg
    6AB0BF97-8426-4157-8D22-996D6156F093.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 6
  • A543E121-5DB9-44E5-998E-2E44352353CD.jpeg
    A543E121-5DB9-44E5-998E-2E44352353CD.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 6
  • E32DB885-8017-4BAF-BBDB-CC50FA124A12.jpeg
    E32DB885-8017-4BAF-BBDB-CC50FA124A12.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 6
Your filter pressure increasing and needing to backwash frequently shows there is stuff in the water and the filter is doing its job removing it. You need to stay the course and let it do its work.

What is your CYA and what FC are you maintaining?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.