Planning an Ascorbic Acid cleaning

I have read the "How to" thread on ascorbic acid cleaning, and will be attempting that myself soon. I paid someone a couple years ago to clean my pool because it had some stains, and I am pretty sure that's what he used. Like a fool, I didn't ask enough questions and didn't know how much DIY info was out there. After an initial cleaning that looked amazing, the pool eventually stained again and, in my opinion, looked worse... but I don't have a photographic memory and my disappointment and feeling of having been fleeced are probably shading the opinion. The current stains are shown in attached pics. I've used the Vitamin C tablet test and confirmed that the AA will lift these stains.

IMG_3767.jpgIMG_3766.jpgIMG_3765.jpg

On to my questions for the smart folks here:

- as the stains began reappearing, there was a spot on one of our sun ledges that appeared to remain "bleached" (third pic) ... I have assumed this is where he poured the AA solution into the pool, and it has retained some amount of "protection" against deposition of the metals or was just cleaned "deeper" at the time. My question is this: what is the best method for application of the AA such that something like this is less likely to happen? Mix in a bucket of water first and pour into the middle of the pool? Throw the AA solids into a skimmer and let it dissolve into the flowing stream? Broadcast spreading it across the surface of the pool as a dry powder?

- after the first cleaning, I noticed we had a persistent problem with algae, despite repeated shocking... having read the "How to" I know I need to keep the pool dosed with algaecide while the FC is low and need to keep the pH down (we are on well water and it tends to push pH up, as will the shock). However, when I had the water tested it showed to be high in phosphates, which makes me wonder if he used something else... once I put in the PhosFree at the recommended dosage, my FC did its job and I didn't have any more problems with algae. It's the middle of Texas summer now and I'm noticing a light growth of algae despite keeping a FC level in the correct range (2-4 ppm). Do I need to up the dosage of polyquat 60 to be sure that doesn't happen again?

Once I've gotten the stains lifted, I'm planning to pump water out of the pool and refill so I don't have to continue dosing with sequestrant, but probably only about half the volume. It's dry here (see the part about Texas summer), so feel that the risk of floating the pool is low... nonetheless, I'm pretty nervous about emptying it completely. First order of business is lifting the stains... will post pics of the results.

TIA for answers to the above... TFP is a great resource!

Metals aside, please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

If you choose to follow TFP methods, once you sequester and filter the metals out... no more metals should exist other than fill water metals. You won't have to do this regularly if you don't add metals to your water.

Magic potions often increase your metals. Watch out for what you put into your pool. Don't add anything that doesn't need to be added.

Get a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared.

On to my questions for the smart folks here:

- what is the best method for application of the AA such that something like this is less likely to happen? Mix in a bucket of water first and pour into the middle of the pool? Throw the AA solids into a skimmer and let it dissolve into the flowing stream? Broadcast spreading it across the surface of the pool as a dry powder?

- Do I need to up the dosage of polyquat 60 to be sure that doesn't happen again?

I realize I wrote a lot in that first post, so summarizing my questions in hopes of getting answers. I've added a full quart of Polyquat to my 30kgal pool, and have adjusted the pH and FC to the proper levels to begin the AA treatment later today. Hoping someone has an answer to the first question before I do that...

Thanks...

Just updating the status of this activity. Used 2 bags of AA (4.4 lbs) and circulated for about 12 hours, followed with 2 qts of Jack's Magic Pink Stuff this morning... think this looks a lot better, but have bought another bag of AA and plan to do one more dose of it before starting to bring up the chlorine. There are still shadows of the stain which I'd like to see gone. After that, I'm going to need to drain and fill to dilute the concentration of the metals. We're on well water which is low in hardness and metals, but this pool has been accumulating all those inorganics for 12 years. I need to reset the clock to avoid having them redeposit. First things first, though... AA supposed to be delivered tomorrow so we'll be watching to see if the AA does any more good before that.

These pictures were taken at approximately the same time of day as those above... not quite as impressive in pictures as it is in person. All in all, very pleased so far.

IMG-3788.JPG

IMG-3790.JPG
IMG-3789.JPG

4.4 lbs in a 30k gal pools isn't near enough. You need 2-3 times that. You pH will drop precipitously but that's part of the treatment.

What do you base that statement on? I have only found the 0.5-1.0 lb/ 10kgal with some people saying they doubled it. The concern I have is way overshooting on the AA then needing a ton of chlorine to get back in balance. The results are somewhat qualitative anyway, so just wondered where your ratio came from.

Update - added another pound of AA last night, I'm calling it done and starting to adjust pH back into range tonight. Here are before and after pics of the overall results from 5.4 lbs of AA as seen from my security camera. The camera isn't super sharp, but it picks up the difference in color pretty dramatically... similar lighting, same time of day.

Before:
Pool before.JPG

After:
Pool after.JPG

Reactions: mcgeechelle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.