Planning a remodel

Yay, plaster day! That is a nice deep blue color. We're leaning toward very light blue, because we don't want the pool to heat up too much in the summer, but I love your color. Did you do mini pebble or the larger ones?

We took a gamble on larger pebbles because our pool is mostly deep - a true swimming pool. We just love the look of large pebbles. That said, if it were a sports pool we would go with mini. We did consider the heat with a deep color but figure it may extend the season - also with a deep end we can always swim into the cooler water.

We did consider the heat with a deep color but figure it may extend the season - also with a deep end we can always swim into the cooler water.

Had not considered that. Our neighbor had a dark pool and they need to take ice blocks in it during the summer, but I don't know how deep it is. We will probably go 3.5" to 8"? Spouse wants to be able to dive into the deep end.

IMG_0195.jpgIMG_0197_2.jpgIMG_0198_2.jpg

Okay Kim, same rain dance for tomorrow! At this rate you'll be dancing everyday!

- - - Updated - - -

Had not considered that. Our neighbor had a dark pool and they need to take ice blocks in it during the summer, but I don't know how deep it is. We will probably go 3.5" to 8"? Spouse wants to be able to dive into the deep end.

We may need ice blocks too but it's worth it to us. Good luck with your build! I'll be following along.

- - - Updated - - -

I remembered to do this:
IMG_0201_2.jpg

A cautionary tale: I had negotiated hand tossed shells to be added but not in the contract (long story). Ask for hand toss - cheaper and you don't waste shells in the mix. So I took off work to watch and to get my shells. When I asked the plaster guys if they had the shells they looked confused and said, "Oh sure - no worry" and I said you better go get my shells! I text my sales guy and said, "they said they have the shells but their body language said no." 1 hour later the sales guy called and said, " Thanks, they left the shells on the desk." Apparently they said yes but then ran back to get them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why put plaster in a jar? I hadn't heard of this...mine is being done right now...do I need to give the guys a jar to fill?

It's probably useless! Just in case of a small patch. I used to faux finish for a living - lot's of plaster work on walls and ceilings. We always gave the homeowner a sample jar. In case they move a switch plate or fixture. Almost impossible to go back and match. Easier to match if you have a wet sample. Surprising how long it lasts.

A cautionary tale: I had negotiated hand tossed shells to be added but not in the contract (long story). Ask for hand toss - cheaper and you don't waste shells in the mix. So I took off work to watch and to get my shells. When I asked the plaster guys if they had the shells they looked confused and said, "Oh sure - no worry" and I said you better go get my shells! I text my sales guy and said, "they said they have the shells but their body language said no." 1 hour later the sales guy called and said, " Thanks, they left the shells on the desk." Apparently they said yes but then ran back to get them.

I had them do shells for mine and originally asked for the hand thrown as well. Turns out they put the shells in the mix (5 bags I believe), and they are also hand tossing them as they go. I can see the shells pretty good already and it's cloudy and it hasn't been acid washed yet, I might be blinded when the water is in and it's full sun outside....lol! They do look amazing though...

- - - Updated - - -

It's probably useless! Just in case of a small patch. I used to faux finish for a living - lot's of plaster work on walls and ceilings. We always gave the homeowner a sample jar. In case they move a switch plate or fixture. Almost impossible to go back and match. Easier to match if you have a wet sample. Surprising how long it lasts.

Thanks for the quick reply...I'm going to forgo the saved plaster and hope everything works out perfectly...lol

I just saw this. It is looking great and I can't wait to see how it looks when it has water. I also have an old deep pool in Austin TX that will need new plaster in the next couple of years, so I will be following this with great interest. Oh yeah, and I spotted your pretty great pyr in one of the pics ... love them, we got a pyr mix and she is the our in house manager/nanny, best dogs ever!

:party: I have help with my dancing today! LOL

Acid tomorrow??

I love your color!

Kim

Oh thank you both for dancing! We have a light drizzle right now so we are in the clear! Acid tomorrow and clean up. I won't be home but I am looking forward to the surprise when I get home. I made my husband cover his eyes and I walked him outside to reveal the pool to him today when he got home from work.

I just saw this. It is looking great and I can't wait to see how it looks when it has water. I also have an old deep pool in Austin TX that will need new plaster in the next couple of years, so I will be following this with great interest. Oh yeah, and I spotted your pretty great pyr in one of the pics ... love them, we got a pyr mix and she is the our in house manager/nanny, best dogs ever!

I did A LOT of research on contractors and I HIGHLY recommend my plasterers. You can see the name on their T-shirts or just PM me. Every pool professional I talked to recommended these guys.

Yes we LOVE the Great Pyrenees! She is our second one and she rescued us - as the saying goes. She does not like all this pool business going on but she is willing to put up with it! When they changed the coping she would not go near the pool, but now she's dealing with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.