Pipe Freezing w/ Early Open

mn_

May 9, 2019
Kitchener, Ont
We opened our pool a bit early this year for Ontario, Canada temperatures. There have been days where the temperature outside overnight has gone as low as -7C (20F) and I'm just worried if we will be damaging our plumbing. The most extreme it's been is -7C (20F) for 2 hours and -5C (23F) for about 7 hours. It's been consistently -1C (30F) for about 15 hours some nights/evenings, this has happened for about 5-7 days. During the day temperatures are usually at least 5C (40F). Our pool water is sitting at about 9C (48F). We have had the pump on since we opened on April 1st. Should we be worried about pipes freezing?

I am in a similar situation. I have been keeping my solar cover on the pool to retain as much heat as possible and also running the pump 24/7. I doubt there will be any freezing issues, just check the pump often to make sure it is still running and pray that there isn't a power outage and you should be fine.

As long as you keep the water moving it should be fine. Be vigilant though and make sure water isn't puddling anywhere that might freeze & swell to cause damage. But the pipes, pump, and filter should be okay with water moving. Some people will toss a blanket or similar covering of exposed pipes and items just as insurance to take the cold "sting" off of them. Just a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.