Pictures that scroll across the top of the forum home page

That is a good question. Currently if you click on one of the photos it will tell you who posted it, but not what thread it was used in. I believe some of the photos are not attached to a particular thread, as photo gallery allows you to upload photos without posting in a thread.
@Leebo is there a setting that will reveal what posts a photo has been used in?

I don't believe there is currently a way. The images are gotten from users galleries it would seem, at least from what I'm reading (found under "Media" on the left side or by clicking on "Photo Gallery" link in the header of the scroll). I don't think they are from actual posts/threads.

It’s just part of the Gallery Feature on the forum. You can go to the Gallery and look at New Media to see what people have uploaded. If it’s a food related picture then there’s an entire 2019 Cooking, BBQ thread that we do every year. @Leebo gets on our cases for uploading too many food pictures ;-)

Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

If you do want to add pictures to a post, please use the Gallery's “Add Media” function. It is waaaay more efficient for the TFP servers to do that than to use the simple attachment button. Plus you can edit & tag pictures you upload for easy searches and link.

If the intent is to have the user base use the media function for pics, there may be away to limit the attachment feature to not be able to attach pics (attach Excel spreadsheets, etc instead)

Options are being explored. But right now there’s a punch list a mile long of things that need to get done, so the attachments versus gallery thing is low on the list.

Best if every user just does their best to not abuse the attachment function. Plus, you get better/higher resolution if you use the Gallery method. Attachments will have severe limitations.

This weekend I plan on reviewing some issues with the gallery and photos as some settings likely can be altered to improve the user experience. I cannot say just yet what changes will occur, but some tinkering will be done. For now however I’ll address the question of searching the forum if the photo has been used or not........

Unfortunately there’s no one click way to search TFP to see if a photo has been discussed elsewhere or not. A user can copy the links in a photo and do a search to find that photo BUT we’ll all agree that’s a royal pain. I’ve got a few ideas how we maybe can alter a few items to create a path to simplify things but until I kick around some ideas I’m not sure what’s going to occur just yet.

For some reason unknown to me the creators of the software still (forget to use logic) insist that a forum should remain separate from the gallery. There’s been multiple (intelligent requests) suggestions made on their site how to better (fix their mess-up) merge the two products together. Each request unfortunately leads nowhere.

I’ll keep ya posted as I hope to figure something out as theirs opportunity to improve the base setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if you were to try to query the DB for instances of the images in the preview that would likely put significant load on the server for every page view ...
Im impressed that you were able to migrate this as seamlessly as you have ... thanks for all the hard work

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.