Phosphates...or pool store Bull?

May 21, 2018
Fredericksburg, Va
Been working hard at it to get my pool balanced out now that its converted over to salt.

Couple questions:

Which readings should I be using to adjust my chemistry? My test it or the pool store? They always seem to differ
The last time I had readings done at the pool store they are telling me my phosphates are kind of high and they try to sell me some Bioguard Pool Tonic. They also don't test for borates with salt pools either. They are also trying to sell me algaecide every time I step in the door. Do I need that or would borax help fend off the algae?
Current readings:

FC: 2
CC: .5
PH: 7.6
TA: 175
CH: 300
CYA: 50
Salt: 3.2 SWG set to 75%
Temp: 86

My TFP app is telling me the TA is too high and the CH is too low so should I be working to get those closer in line with the suggested range?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I'm so glad I found this site.
Tom

Your tests.

Phosphates do not matter if there is no algae to eat them.

- - - Updated - - -

No Algaecides. Unnecessary and many add items you really do not want in your water.

Borates are only if you really understand your water chemistry and have significant long term data. Wait until next year to consider them.

- - - Updated - - -

Your FC is too low if those are your tests. Use [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Keep in the target level for your CYA,.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure you have removed the mineral cartridge from the Fusion 2 device.

We recommend CYA level for a SWCG chlorinated pool to be 60-80. I am not sure where 'Fredericksburg' is (can you add a state or country) but if in the warmer climates I would try 70 ppm first.

Should I trust the TFP app recs?

Not sure what you mean by that.

O,

It is important to increase your FC now to prevent algae... The very minimum you should have is 3 ppm and you really should try to keep it around 4 or 5 ppm... I would use Bleach or Liquid Chlorine to bring it up quickly...

Increasing the CYA is not critical, but if you increase it to 70, then your SWCG will have a much easier time maintaining your FC, as the sun will not burn it off as fast...

As long as your pH does not quickly drift up above 8.0, I would just leave the TA alone. The only time you need to worry about TA is if you can't keep your pH under control.

Oh.. just stay out of the Pool Store and trust your test results.. They only what to sell you some type of "Magic" in a bottle... Slight of hand will not keep your pool clear.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Perhaps this will give you a clue

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.